1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why isn't the coolont control valve covered under the hybrid warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ron K, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My check engine light came on. The dealer diagnosed this as a faulty coolant control valve. He implied this valve has something to do with the Hybrid components.

If so, why wasn't that covered by the hybrid warranty (which I thought was 8 years in California.

Ron

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The check engine light coming on shows that the problem is with the engine, not with the hybrid system.

The failed valve in question is most likely for the coolant heat recovery system which reduces engine exhaust emissions by speeding up engine warm-up. This valve is part of the engine coolant system, not the inverter coolant system.

The inverter/transaxle coolant system does not have valves in the coolant loop. In any event, the hybrid components warranty covers only those components that are specifically listed in the warranty terms.

1 person likes this.
  3. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is this what we used to call a "thermostat" in the old days???

;)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the Prius gasoline engine has a thermostat located in the usual place.

The coolant canister stores ~3 quarts of hot coolant upon shutdown. When the car next has a cold start, the hot coolant is pumped into the engine, supposedly to speed up warmup.

I think this is way too much complexity for the benefit obtained, which is probably why that design was abandoned for 3G.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love over engineering though. :) A hundred extra parts to squeeze out a few fractions of a percent of efficiency, is beautiful.