1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why isn't Toyota on the E85 Bandwagon?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by cleverlever, Feb 18, 2006.

1. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

The Prius shows a greater power output gain when operated on E85 than any Flex fuel Vehicle. This is due to Toyota's use of VVT-i in conjunction with the Atkinson Cycle Engine.

Toyota was the first auto company to obtain a US patent (6,848,422) which uses a detonation sensor to control the closing of the intake valve. This allows Toyota to switch from an Otto Cycle to an Atkinson Cycle depending on the Octane Rating/burn rate of various fuels.

Unfortunately Fuel consumption is much higher on E85 than Gasoline.So what if the Prius was Bi Fuel? Used E85 under heavy load and Gasoline at light load. The Bi Fuel Prius could reduce engine size 20% without sacraficing any power.

On the other hand it would be a lot easier to use patent 4,961,406( The first US Patent ever issued to use detonation sensing to control valve timing,which originated outside the auto industry) to slow down the burn rate of gasoline under heavy load which would accomplish the same basic thing as using a secondary slower burning fuel.

So why isn't Toyota on the E85 Bandwagon?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

why? they'd loose the AT-PSEV rating. And they'd never consider that.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the plug in will get much higher performance numbers, does not require a HUGE infrastructure or production change that E85 would have to do in order to become more than a niche product.

that is why imm Toyota is not pursuing the issue.

4. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

5. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

Please tell me where the fuel will come from to supply the electricity for plug in hybrids.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I'm reading this correctly, you'd need 2 separate fuel systems, one for E85 and one for regular unleaded. Seems complex.

The NEV (Net Energy Values) for E85 are simplistic and fail to address where the feedstock - ie corn, sugar beets, whatever - will be grown to displace that much petroleum feedstock. In addition the NEV fail to address the energy required for processing.

True, Brazil can meet a lot of demand with methanol, derived from sugar beet. Their climate is ideal for such crops, unsure if typical Mid West wheatcrop can produce anywhere near the feedstock. Ditto for Canadian wheatcrop land.

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It SHOULD be coming from nuclear, wind power. The power company just put up dozens of windmills here on a ridgetop that's always windy

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

Especially for cold start in temps much below -10 C. E85 vehicles are *very* hard to start in cold temps, and dramatic overfueling is needed to achieve a start in temps much below -20 C.

Recent EPA documents on E85 challenge vehicles require a cold start to be achieved in under 45 secs. 45 secs?? Might as well buy a diesel and monkey around with spraying ether.

Even at -40, parked outside at my hobby farm as an experiment, my Prius started *instantly*

jay

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

a while back someone posted a link to a UCal Berkley document about ethanol as a motor fuel but I can't find it now. Was an interesting read and esentially said without Government subsides it was not sustainable. Also the evaporative emissions from ethanol were very difficult to control. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll post the url.

10. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

E85, in my opinion, is a disaster UNLESS its used with an elevated expansion ratio which makes it a lot easier to start in cold weather.

I built a rat rod last year which runs on E85 and has high compression. I couldn't believe it would start in the winter but it did http://cleverlever99.blogspot.com

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.c4aqe.org/Economics_of_Ethanol/patzek_ethanol.pdf

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right, a dual-fuel vehicle that can run on E85 has to grossly over-fuel to start reliably in cold weather. Remember carbs with stuck chokes? You get the idea.

I *love* that rat rod you built. I've been seriously considering finding an old A frame and building something completely impractical just for taking a spin in summer at the hobby farm.

I'm thinking the "traditional" 350 Chevy, Edelbrock carb, TH400, Ford 9 inch rear. Those pieces-parts are plentiful and easy to build/modify.

13. pichle21

pichle21 New Member

I'm a little lost on the technical side, however, I would like to know if my '06 Prius can run on E85 with out any modifications. What are the benefits and what are the drawbacks of using E85?

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Let's face it. There's no way E85 is going to be anything but a niche market for a good while. Until cellulosic ethanol goes mainstream we simply can't produce enough ethanol from corn and the like. We currently have the capacity to produce about 4.5 billion gal/yr. Considering the amount of fuel the US burns daily that's a tiny amount. E85's not a bad idea but hyping it now doesn't amount to anything much more than that... hype. Personally, I think a better approach is to take the available ethanol and blend it at a much lower level but in a more uniformly distributed fashion.

15. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

My friend is the guy who lent his Prius to the University of Minnesota for the testing on E85 which is referenced on most Prius sites.

He runs the car exclusively on E85. His fuel mileage went down big time and he says every light on the dash blinks when its cold but it does start in winter.

My observation is that there is no advantage ,other than increased power, obtainable from running on E85 unless you really believe E85 is a renewable source of energy. I have read most of the reports on E85 and have concluded the people getting the subsidies think its renewable and the rest of the public (consumers) see it as a government handout to the agricultural industry.

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are forms of ethanol that are far better than corn derived. Ethanol in and of itself is a good thing. It has the potential to be carbon neutral and to displace oil consumption. Those are good things. It's the current approaches to producing it that are the problem.

All forms of energy are subsidized. The Coal industry gets some very nice perks for the gov't. Oil and gas get some nice perks too. You would you rather subsidize?

17. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

You are right in that we aren't producing OR USING it efficiently.

The problem with the subsidy for ethanol is that nobody wants to talk about the COMPOUND subsidy whereas virtually everything used to produce ethanol is already subsidized.

I am amazed that nobody I am aware of is using waste heat going up the smokestacks at powerplants to process the ethanol.

18. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cold start in the prius should be a non-issue. It's not like a normal car with a starter motor.. It has two BIG motors to spin up the ICE before fuel is added..

I'll gladly pay a $1 per gallon premium for E85 if it worked in the Prius and if there was a gas station that carried it within 30 miles. I looked for the nearest (non-military) station; its over 300 miles away.

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We can use any type of fuel we choose. At my house, I choose wind power. In the state of Colorado, anyone who wants to can check the box on their electric bill to get their power from wind. (For a little more money, but not much).

Only 2% of electricity in the US comes from petroleum. Hydro, Nuclear, Solar, Wind, Coal, and Natural Gas are all options for electricity. Maybe even ethanol!

Nate

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm totally cool with inhaling a little ethanol vapor. on bad lab days i keep an open beaker of ethanol at my bench. :lol: