1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why no auto-on headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by web1b, May 30, 2009.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

I can't imagine that it could be technology, weight/fuel economy or cost when they offer much more complex high tech features than light-sensing headlamps.

So, why not have it?

Of course, if they later add it, it shouldn't require something ridiculous like bundling with advanced technology package and navigation either.

I have seen drivers of the Gen 2 Prius driving around at night with their headlights off because the interior displays are lit up even with the lights off and they don't notice the headlights aren't on.

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, web1b,

I have a Gen 2 Prius (2005) & I can easily tell whether my headlights are on or not because when they are on there is a decent-sized star on the dash to the right of the speedometer & transmission indicator where all the "idiot lights" are. This is only on when the headlights are on (but NOT on for just the parking lights). My other giveaway is that the brightness of the MFD & speedo are dimmed, so I don't know why others would drive around in the dark with their headlights off (UNLESS they have the "HID headlight failure" problem that there are so many pages of posts about).

I'm not a very big fan of auto-on headlights mainly because I have seen so many cars driving around in the dark with headlights on but NO taillights (maybe that's just the daytime running light feature that does that & not the auto-on headlight system though---I don't know).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the other way around. It's people with cars that have electroluminescent gauges (LEDs) that are on all the time. The lower end cars (like the Acura CSX in Canada or the Honda Civic or the last generation Corolla LE) have these gauges but no auto-headlights so the people who normally buy these cars are used to having the gauges on when their lights are on.

4. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like my gadgets as much as anyone else, but have we really gotten this lazy?

5. web1b

web1b Active Member

Well, not every Prius owner doesn't notice when their light are off, but some do. Auto on lights would solve that and just be a convenience for others. They have an OFF setting for those who are dead set on turning the lights on manually.

I'm not sure why anyone would argue against this on a vehicle that offers parking assist, laser cruise and other cutting edge technology.

The other issue is daytime running lights. Those cars need auto-on headlights so the taillights come on at night since those drivers can also easily forget to turn the lights "all the way on."

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The US Prius do have AUTO-OFF though so even if you leave your headlights on, they will turn off.

2 people like this.
  7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All useless and expensive gadget's in my opinion

My VW has DRLs and I don't have an issue with forgetting to turn on my headlights at night.

1. DRLs are not bright enough to be useful at night
    2. The dash lights only turn on with the headlights. You can't see the guages at night without the headlights on.

Apparently some people have.

8. agentred

agentred New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's EXACTLY it.

Even the Honda Insight and cars way cheaper than the Prius I are offering auto-on headlights, and have been doing so for years.

And sure you can say "oh you don't need them" or "oh here's a workaround" but why should we be making excuses for Toyota?

If you don't like auto-on headlights, you could turn the switch to manual. For the rest of us, it's a huge omission.

9. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was really surprised when I learned that the Gen 3s - especially the models IV and V - don't have auto-headlights.

It is, frankly, bizarre that a car as high-tech as the Prius - a hybrid with such technology as push-button start and SKS - lacks such a simple and common feature.

I'm actually a little mad about it, because it is such a stupid omission.

10. agentred

agentred New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Further to some of the previous comments, it's not about being lazy.

By that logic, when did people get too lazy to use hand turned windows instead of automatic ones? Or use Navigation systems instead of a map? Or get out of their car and crank the shaft coming out of their engine?

It's not about lazy, it's about safety and convenience. With such a high tech new car, I expect lots of both. I'm still gonna get the 2010 prius probably, but no one can convince me that losing auto on headlights is somehow a good thing.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's always something.... My 2007 HyCam has auto headlights but not auto up on the windows. Seems really stupid, but like Prius Team said, everything you put into the car adds to the price.

12. jasony79

jasony79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm confused. I have an 11 year old Corolla that looks like it belongs in a junkyard. It has daytime running lights that automatically brighten up at night time. I never click the lights on or off. The 2010 Prius doesn't have that functionality? I don't believe it. The car I've been waiting on for years is basically eliminated as a possibility. I can't imagine suddenly having to manually turn the lights on every day and then back off. What if I forget? That's far worse than not having cruise control.

It sounds like I'll be waiting for the 2011 or 2012 plug-in version after all...or a different model altogether.

13. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have auto-on headlight on my CX9. I never really use it.
    Excited in the beginning but found it annoying.
    - turned on when I started engine in garage, turned off when I pulled out into driveway. Why?
    - turned on when I went under an overpass, turn off when I exited. Why?
    - When I travelled in a forest setting, it kept turning on and off.... why?
    Before a technology is well thought out, it does more damage than benefits. The life span of your headlights will be shortened greatly. (especially if you have the HID)

Maybe it is just me.
    Personally, I love the rain-sensing wiper on my CX9 better than the auto-on headlights.
    Uh, sorry. Another feature you can't have on Prius.
    Well. So is life. You can't get everything....

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the Canadian Prius has an "Auto" position for the headlights. They just left a few parts off the US version.

15. renpriv

renpriv New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in the UK and currently drive an Audi A3 Sportback which also has auto lights & rain sensing wipers, both are features which I love.

After seeing a summary of the spec we are getting in the UK (T3, T4 & T-Spirit, I was pleased to see that both the T4 & T-Spirit do have rain sensing wipers. As we have so much rain in the UK I am glad that we get that feature... auto lights would be good too, but the wipers are more important for me.

Another item which we in the UK have never had on the Prius is an auto dimming interior mirror - that is something I will really miss. Do you guys have that feature as one of your "Packages" or a seperate opton?

I am so looking forward to seeing the new Prius over here and placing my order. I have recently got back from my Holiday in California, but unfortunately I was over there about 2 weeks to early to see the 2010 Prius.

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    auto dimming mirror is standard on our IV and V models. Not listed as an option or accessory yet for I, II, or III. My recollection is it could be added to the gen II car.

17. IraS

IraS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The "Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® universal transceiver" is a standard feature on the Prius IV and V.

I currently have a 2004 Prius and got the auto dimming rear view mirror as an accessory. Toyota doesn't list this as an accessory for the 2010 Prius. I am not that impressed with the auto dimming feature, but I like using the mirror to open my garage door instead of keeping the garage door opener remote control on the sun visor.

18. renpriv

renpriv New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, sounds interesting, so maybe if we don't get it over here there may be a possiblity of retro fitting it :)

19. jrflip

jrflip New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

This is exactly it. If one doesn't like auto-on one can turn it off. End of discussion. I think it is an example of Toyota's lack of concern for their consumers.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can adjust the sensitivity of it to keep it off longer before it comes on in a darkened environment (e.g. overpass)