1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why no hybrid RAV4?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintd555, Jul 2, 2006.

1. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

I've been considering the Prius now for quite sometime. But now I'm thinking it will be more practical for me to buy a compact SUV rather than another 4 door car. I already have a Jetta.

Any news on Toyota or Honda even making a compact SUV? Yesterday (just for kicks) I test drove a Suzuki Vitara... I'm passing. The Vitara only gets 24 MPG while the RAV4 gets up to 30 which is about the same I get in my Jetta <_<

Has anyone bought a Prius INSTEAD of a compact SUV? If so, why? And how are you living with the space... or lack thereof?

wolfe likes this.
  2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I went for a test drive in the Vitara also. I actually liked it, to my surprise. Course, it was only my second time driving a SUV, and the hyundai is not much to compare by.

The salesman admitted that many people praise the car, and pass because of the FE.

As to your question, I've wondered many times why the RAV or CRV are not hybridized. I have my doubts that they are any more functional than the Prius, but for people that want them, a realistic 30 - 35 mpg for most drivers seems like an attractive offering.

3. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

I have driven a SUV for several years now. And I do like it. In fact, I kept my Explorer when I bought the Prius, thinking that the Prius would not meet all of my needs. I am a nurse- meaning you have to get to work -no matter what the weather is. The past winter, here in the Philly suburbs, was mild. But that is not always the case. If there was a small SUV hybrid with 4WD on demand available- Honda or Toyota- I would be the first one in line to sign up. I would gladly sacrifice the mpg for the 4WD and additional ground clearance. That is better than shoveling the driveway. My borough is not well known for clearing the streets of snow. After I get out of my local area and on the major roads, I am OK.
    Yeah, RAV4 or CRV- I am there.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I"m guessing the Escape Hybrid doesn't cut it for you?

Hmm... eventually Toyota will have one. It'll be the truck and minivan next before coming around back to the SUV...

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, but last time I checked there was a compact hybrid SUV out there. The Ford Escape Hybrid (and Mercury Mariner Hybrid) and it has an excellent track record and the owner base is quite loyal. Owner loyality isn't easy to come by these days. That speaks volumes as to the suitability of the vehicle to the go anywhere, anytime needs of some folks.

6. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 2 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]280252[/snapback]</div>

The Ford Escape? Don't you know that you never buy a Ford product the first year it is out?

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford is in their second year of Escape Hybrid production (and headding strongly into their 3rd year) and of any of the worldwide auto manufacturers, Ford, GM and D/C are not in a financial position to build vehicles with build or mechanical issues they have not done their best to anticipate and eliminate before production.

It is a lot less expensive to eliminate as many potential problems before production than after. The 05 Escape Hybrids have had a very successful run and the 06 is doing well also.

You would see plenty of Escape Hybrids on the road right now if Ford had their own internal tooling to build the hybrid related components themselves. However they outsource many of the hybrid components from some of the same manufacturers that Toyota sources their components from and as such Ford is a second filddle buyer compared to the "home team".

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.. I thought the Ford Escape Hybrid came out last year. I know cause I test drove that and the Accord Hybrid on the same day last June.

Besides, the only thing that turns me away from the Escape is the interior. God awful. Like the salesman said.. .it's a Ford Truck and built like a Ford Truck.. I couldn't agree more!

9. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 2 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]280269[/snapback]</div>
    That is why I always point people toward the Mercury product line whenever possible. The trim is much better. The colors and color combinations are usually much classier and exterior treatments, like wheels, grills and lights are better.

10. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Are you kidding me? I don't think so. :eek: Yes I'm aware of the Escape Hybrid. I'm not buying a Ford, Perid. Unless it's a Mustang. And I ain't buying no Mustang. Sorry guys.

Actually the real reason is because the Escape is using old Toyota's Gen 1 technology. Not that there's anything wrong with the Gen 1 technology, but it's only averaging 32 MPG from a database of drivers from green hybrid.

Mind you this is only 2 more MPG than the RAV4 on highway, BUT the Escape cost about $10,000 more?!?! I don't think so and I'm shocked there are people who'd actually buy the Hybrid Escape given it doesn't get much better MPG than the gas CRV and RAV. :blink:

I guess if I wanted to buy a hybrid just because it was a hybrid, the Mercury or Escape will be more appealing but I'd like to be a little more practical than that. :huh:

11. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Jul 2 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]280267[/snapback]</div>

You almost sound like you or a family member are a Ford employee. You have to understand that it was early '05 when I was looking for a new car. The local dealer- where I also bought the Exporer- isn't the greatest.
    I had previous experience with Honda. That was great. In fact my daughter is still driving that '89 Civic, starts every time she turns the key. Have no idea what the mileage on that car is now. Thought I would try Toyota this time. I really do LOVE my Prius.

12. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about the Highlander Hybrid? In fact, I know a nurse that drives one and she likes it a lot.

13. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k @ Jul 2 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]280290[/snapback]</div>

That is out of my price range.

14. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Yea the Highlander is too big and I'm not willing to spend that much on a vehicle.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

The new CR-V is coming out later this year. From the spy photos, it looks pretty sleek- more rounded that the 1st and 2nd gen CR-V. And the word is that it will be offered as a hybrid.
    There is also a new Highlander coming out this year, and it is also going to be an esthetic improvement over the current vehicle, based on spy photos. But the HyHi costs over $40K and only averages (from what I've haerd) in the high-20s for MPG.
    A hybrid RAV4 might be an incentive for me to buy another SUV. The conventional RAV4 gets decent mileage so a hybrid should get at least in the 30s. And it now has an optional 3rd row seat (albeit small.) But I have not ever heard any rumors of a hybrid RAV4.

16. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe Toyota isn't doing the Rav4 hybrid because it would then be obvious what a big step backwards it is from the Rav4EV they made ten years ago??? ;)

While I have no experience with the latest (huge!) models of the Rav4, I can tell you from direct experience that the Prius is a WAY more practical configuration of vehicle than the 1st gen Rav body that I have. More passenger room, and about the same cargo room. Better turning radius, better handling, blah, blah. The only thing better about the Rav configuration is WAY better visibility.... oh, and taller cargo area. Other than that, the Prius excells in every other way I can think of as far as "configuration." I won't get into the whole gas vs EV thing. :)

17. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    man i would love that too
    the 06+ RAV4 Sport is pretty sexy
    but i hope if they will ever come out with a hybrid model, i dont want to see liek a price tag of like 30k...like the highlander..

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 2 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]280365[/snapback]</div>
    WE WANT EVs!

19. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drift Motion @ Jul 3 2006, 02:16 AM) [snapback]280416[/snapback]</div>
    Check out the pricing of the HyCam vs the other Camrys. It is impressive. You will have to dig a bit into the packages to really get a gist of how inexpensive the HSD option has become.

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would caution that a hybrid powerplant, while it certainly helps
    FE and boosts fun factor, is not the magic bullet -- per my recent
    experiment, http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302
    I was still doing 45 - 50 mpg in a Prius *without* using its hybrid
    capability. One must also take driving technique into consideration.
    _H*