1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why no passenger airbag with only driver if a crash?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whidbeyisland, Sep 22, 2007.

1. whidbeyisland

whidbeyisland New Member

It seems like my passenger airbag is only on when a passenger is in the seat with his seatbelt fastened (according to warning lights). Why? If it's only me, the driver, wouldn't there be instances when I would still benefit if the passenger airbag deployed? Sorry if this is in search; I couldn't find it. Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be very unlikely that a passenger airbag deployment would benefit the driver since the front airbags only deploy in a front end moderate to high speed collision. If you are properly restrained there's no way for you to travel to the passenger side of the vehicle and thus no benefit.

Further, the airbags are expensive to replace and a moderate fender-bender would add nearly $1000 to replace an unnecessarily deployed airbag.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no point activating an airbag to protect a passenger that isn't there. They're designed to protect the occupants in a frontal collision, and are fairly expensive to replace.

edit: Yeah, what he said. :)

4. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The passenger airbag will not deploy unless the passenger seat senses that the person weighs enough. It was found that children were sustaining injuries from the airbag instead of being protected by it. Everyone recommends that children ride in the back seat, but if they are riding in the front seat, it's better that the airbag not deploy.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Sep 22 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]516287[/snapback]</div>
    I agree totally with you. However, the Prius WILL deploy the front passenger airbag if a child is in the seat. Even a small bag of groceries will turn it on. So the Prius sensor system is faulty in this case, if that was the purpose of the sensors. I don't think they are there for that. I think they are there to just shut the airbag off if there is no passenger. A baby in a carrier may not be sensed, but it would be close.

The sensor system does do something good - it forces me to secure cargo on the floors and in the back, where it belongs.

6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whidbey Island @ Sep 22 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]516275[/snapback]</div>
    In short no, the passenger airbag is not beneficial to the driver. The airbags that we deploy in our lab fully inflate in 45 milliseconds and have started to deflate by 60 to 75 milliseconds. The passenger airbag will not be still inflated if the driver somehow was knocked out of position in a secondary impact. Passenger airbags also rip through instrument panel when they deploy. This destroys the instrument panel. The instrument panels that my company makes cost $2000 plus labor. Thats a lot of money to waste.

There is some confusion about airbags and specifically about the new dual-power airbags. The airbag will deploy if the passenger meets the minimum weight requirement for an airbag. Dual-power airbags do not deploy at different power or speed for different sized passengers. If the passenger is under the weight limit the airbag simply does not deploy.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if you're talking about dual-stage airbags, those are airbags that deploy depending on the speed before the collision. It has nothing to do with the weight of the passenger, that is dealt with the seat sensor.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 22 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]516333[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct, one of the criteria the computer will use to decide how many stages to deploy is the speed of the crash. Some other criteria are seat position and seat belt use.

What I was trying to clear up is the misconception by the general public that dual-stage airbags will adjust for the weight of the passenger. Many people think that these airbags will deploy both stages if the passenger is heavy, such as a large male; but only deploy one stage if the passenger is light such as a small female. This is incorrect. Weight only determines if the bag deploys or not, it is not connected to the number of stages.

Also on a duel stage deployment the stages don't deploy at the same time. The second stage will deploy about 5 milliseconds after the first stage.

BTW, air bag deployments are cool to watch and VERY loud. You literally can't see the bag come out with the naked eye, suddenly it's just there, fully inflated.