1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why no Pkg 8's allocated for East Coast regions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by comtech5, Dec 7, 2005.

1. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had my deposit down for an '06 since Aug. 1. The sales mgr at Riverhead Toyota (Long Island, NY) told me today that the computer shows NO pkg #8's going to any East Coast Region. He says that Toyota does not allow dealers to swap inventory between an East Coast Region and a West Coast one (according to this board there are plenty of Pkg 8's in CA.) Does anyone know why Toyota has decided not to give the East Coast Regions Pkg 8's? Is it true that East and West Coast dealers cannot swap? How can I find out when (and if) the NY region will get any 8's? Toyota will not tell the dealer anything. I've preferenced a Seaside Pearl with Taupe trim and I don't want to wait much past January. Any suggestions on how to make this happen?

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The mid-Atlantic region is getting packages 2, 6, 7, 8.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I ordered a package 8 in July, and live not too far away, in Staten Island. Anyway, after several emails to toyota corporate, dealings with everyone and their mother at my dealership and calls to other dealerships I am taking the pkg 7 thats coming in months end for me. I still got black/grey just no leather. Oh well, you can goto PA but they told me April/May since they have lists already. Maybe try Virginia or something or get a pkg 7 and do aftermarket leather. I said the heck with it, save the $1200 and buy a can of scotchguard and live with it. I love the Prius, i really do, but buying this car has been the most horrible car buying experience I have had out of 6 cars.

4. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm hell-bent on factory leather, so I guess I'll keep trying (and waiting). If it's true that Mid-Atlantic has 8's allocated then maybe my local dealer can swap.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

In the SE division, leather has been a port installed option for the past two model years. I figure that the SE is not getting any factory leather equiped cars, but instead dealers can give the customer a package #7 with the port installed leather interior. Works out to be the same car at the same price anyway. As for areas that never had the leather option, I'm not sure why they don't have any.

I'm going to "settle" for a package #7 with the port installed leather.

6. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would never buy anything from the SE region. Any distributorship (i.e. SE) that forces on it's dealers port options like "undercoating" packages for $600, in my opinion is not trustworthy. The fact that a dealer in the SE region can delete the "undercoating" only if the customer "asks" & they (the dealer) are "in the know" of how to go about deleting it, just adds insult to injury.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably because they know they can make some profit with the "port leather install" than if there were to get a #8 from Toyota directly. They can probably then add heated seats and make a few more bucks.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, it's kinda hard to not buy from the SE division when you live there.

As for the heated seats, they CAN'T do it for the port installed. I asked for them, but after checking was told they couldn't do it. I'll have to add it myself later. It's actually not too hard to do, which makes it even stranger that they wouldn't do it. Reeks of potentially high profit item...

9. gordonr

gordonr Member

I've been trying to get a different non-offered package as well, and this is what I've learned...

A dealer can try to initiate a swap with another dealership in their own region or another region that uses the same port of entry. As such, New York cannot swap with California. In my case, none of the regions who use the common port are offering my preferred package. The dealership who I'm working with is trying to request this package anyway, and is also going to try and place a special order for me as well. The special order may or may not be accepted by the regional Toyota managers, and it can take quite a while for them to give it the thumbs up or down. If the special order is accepted, I've been told it can take 4 to 5 months before your car arrives.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Most dealers will do swaps say from NY to NJ or even PA but with the Prius it just doesnt happen that often. On a car where they get MSRP they, well ok, most don't care about helping you and spending their own extra money and time to swap for you. If you or their headache leaves and goes elsewhere there is always someone else lined up who will buy st msrp and possibly give them less trouble. Pretty good situation Toyota has forf themselves with this car.

I was hellbent on leather as well, but after 2 months fof hairpulling, phone calls, emails etc I gave up and settled on fabric as well. Yeah, I could have waited 5 more months, yeah I could have waited 5 months and gotten from PA but that was/is not possible, and I like you will not settle for aftermarket leather so fabric will do.