1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why so many extended car warranties are scams

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I watched this on my local TV station, yesterday.

It appears that nearly all aftermarket warranties are not worth the paper they are written on,

https://www.wspa.com/news/local-news/extended-warranties-are-they-worth-it/

I've always stated that one should save that money in cash. There are no contract exclusions with cash. And, if you don't use it, it's like getting a full refund with interest.

Grit and Rmay635703 like this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Extended warranties have always been a cash grab. Even more so than private Insurance which is mostly a ripoff unless you like changing policies like underwear and going to court to make a claim

If common law would be applied to them or if we would fix our broken legal framework they would likely mostly disappear.

That said the automotive manufacturers themselves can provide warranties that at least pay for things even if expensive.

The mindset since the 70’s by “businessmen “ is to take them for everything they got, only thing that stops them is if a legal framework exists.

This is the same reason we will keep having bank bailouts and crashes until Glass Segal is reinstated, on their honor doesn’t work.

Tombukt2 and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like Robert Riech is always talking about . The not so good powers have tried to kill off alot of protections in our systems. Glass Stegal was one.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's always like one person who says, I saved big money with my extended warranty... But just one person lucking out does not a wise investment make.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think extended warranty are good for cars and trucks that will tow excess weight or severe off roading.

If you get plan not to do any of the above, then get it professionally inspected prior to buying and forget the extended warranty. The total lifetime average car’s repairs won’t exceed entire extended warranty payment.

6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually the extended warranties I’ve seen will say you can repair the car anywhere but they don’t pay the full bill unless it’s a preferred location.

Add to this you usually need to have a dealer do the oil changes every 3000 miles / twice a year, cabin filter twice a year, transmission/radiator/brake every 25,000 and you have to have paid tire rotations 4 times a year.

So long as you do all this, keep documentation, don’t have any accidents or even speeding tickets in some cases and don’t miss anything on the “warranty” schedule they will typically cover whatever is spelled out in their 10 mile legal bs.

If your the weirdo that pays the dealer to do tons of unnecessary work it is possible to get the warranty to cover things, but even then they might fight

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Manufacturer's extended warranties are the only ones worth considering. Discounting the value argument, if Honda or Toyota sold the warranty the dealer will honor it just like a failure in the original 3 year 36k warranty.

An excellent value proposition is a manufacturer's extended warranty on a central ac system. Almost guaranteed to payoff.

The manufacturer's warranties can be negotiated. A car version is usually marked up 100-150%. Same goes for ac warranties which cost $400 but sell for $1200 or more.

Rmay635703 likes this.