1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the insurance company's "preferred body shop" may be your worse choice...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mike500, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Nothing really new there...
    Anyone who's ever got body work knows body shops can use aftermarket or junkyard parts vs OEM.
    Surprisingly, OEM in some cases is the same price as aftermarket- a good/busy shop is up on this kind of stuff and orders appropriately.
    My bro in-law stopped using some aftermarket parts in his body shop because they were a bit rough and took more prep time vs aftermarket to make paint ready. Time is money...

Ever got a windshield replaced? It's never OEM on the ins co's dime- if you want OEM you have to pay the difference.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I think what Buddy Caldwell is saying, is that State Farm isn't really acting like a good neighbor, more like the neighbor that let's their dog crap in your front yard, and borrows power tools and doesn't return them.

I don't know, at least in Oregon you legally have the right to take your vehicle to any body shop you want. Some keying in on this reality will solicit your business by promising to use only OEM parts.

As far as Insurance Companies go, it's certainly not rare, and indeed nearly an industry standard that most insurance companies now have relationships with Body Shops.

Consumers get enticed to choose one that is a Insurance Company preferred shop, with the promise of Life Time Warranties for the work performed.

I don't know. I still think it's buyer beware. Sometimes after an accident you are too rattled or busy to do much research, but in most cases I'm taking my vehicle to the body shop I feel good about, whether it is an Insurance Company approved one or not.

Just like any service or product I buy, whether the check is being cut by myself or by a insurance company on my behalf, I take it upon myself to know what parts they are using and hopefully have some idea of their standards.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you know a good body shoppe, and they are not preferred, that's fine. otherwise, you're at their mercy, and at least you have some recourse with preferred.

maybe it's different in la, but we can take it anywhere, and insurance has to cover it. or are they saying people are just trusting them to do the right thing and are getting screwed?

#4 bisco, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I've used USAA's preferred HOME repair contractors after my washing machine overflowed and flooded my powder room and basement once and was satisfied with the work. Then again USAA is an awesome company.

As to car repairs, last couple incidents I have had, not in the prius thank god (1-deer hit, 2-valet scrapped up my bumper in manhattan) I used a trusted local autoboy shop that has been in business for over 50 yrs and both cars turned out as good as new, I could not tell the difference and I'm very picky. For The deer hit they used OEM bumper, headlights, and grill shutters, etc, as I saw the boxes.

I guess it comes down to some people don't want the hassle of getting quotes at multiple shops etc... Bring it to the insurance company's affiliates and get it fixed and forget about it. But I would def insist on OEM parts and read up on reviews on the shop they want you to go to.