1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the nasty replies?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GreenGuy33, Jan 2, 2010.

1. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am always trying to understand human behavior.
    I am trying to understand why a few people reply to the novice question with such anger and sarcasm.
    I asked one question in a thread about strong crosswinds and difficulty controlling my new Prius. There was one person who attacked my ability to drive a vehicle. I was just checking to see if others had the same issue. (I found out many did).
    The PriusChat forum is a great place to ask (even the silliest) Prius related questions.
    Isn't that why we visit this site...to become better informed about our Prius?

2 people like this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Human behavior.
    Next time you see something like that, click the little [​IMG] icon and let us know. I usually try to ask people to be more civil when I come across it but with more members making more posts in more threads I can't see them all.

4 people like this.
  3. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    You're not alone. Every website with forums has as select number of jerks and the controlling personalities seem to manifest themselves quickly.

The good news is this site has mostly nice people. I've learned a lot from the people here.

Lastly, there was nothing wrong with your question. So keep posting and enjoy your Prius.

2 people like this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - and didn't really feel like contributing to the other thread - that I get bounced around by side-winds also. Interstate driving with side-winds is the worse.

1 person likes this.
  5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I hope you enjoy your new car and get used to it's handling compared to your last car. In general, those of us here really like the car. I'd make my next auto purchase another Prius in a split second. Ignore those who offend you.

2 people like this.
  6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greenguy,

It's because there are a**holes everywhere.

But as a general matter, I think PriusChat has a lower percentage of them than almost any board I've seen.

The overwhelming majority of members here are uncommonly civil and helpful.

Personally, I occasionally get slightly perturbed when someone asks a question that s/he could have very easily answered her/himself by checking the Owner's Manual (or sometimes, by doing a search on PriusChat).

I'm not talking about hard questions or questions that are difficult to find answers to in the 600+ pages of the Owner's Manual. I'm talking about questions that are easy to find answers to, e.g., "What does this icon mean?"

Yet, I understand why someone might ask such questions because these are questions that one might casually ask in conversation. But PriusChat is not instant messaging or a water cooler. And such questions can easily be perceived as someone telling everyone else to go fetch.

3 people like this.
  7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Unfortunately it's human nature as well as the internet can be a place for the weak to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and become cyber bullies.

Like Tony mentioned, if anything gets out of control, let us know via the Report post icon and we'll look into it. The few troubled souls who may pop up here from time to time are far outweighed by helpful good people so continue to enjoy Priuschat w/o fear.

3 people like this.
  8. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Haven't you learned by now that you can't ever understand human behavior? Been alive long? Sheesh!

And if you want to be silly go to clown class. Become better informed about our Prius??? Please tell me you don't believe everything you read on the internet. Geez!

:p ;)

:hug:

:D

and another :hug:

(pretty sure you know I'm kidding with you... but just in case I'm adding this. Just disregard those posts and know that they wouldn't say it like that if you were talking face to face.)

1 person likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Three comments:

There exist on the internet people who 'troll', make claims for no reason except to agitate those doing help. Interestingly, Prius trolls usually have so little idea how a Prius works, that it is obvious they don't actually have one. Their alternators burn up, their gears grind going into reverse, their batteries die at 101,000 miles in a state with a 150,000 mile warranty and Toyota rejects their claim. Sadly, some folks start seeing trolls everywhere. I quit answering any 'unintended acceleration' questions as I never saw any based on reality. All the threads I saw involved impossible scenarios that 'had' to be solved.

Secondly, the 2004 to 2009 Prius had a underbody brace that worked in tension but did nothing in compression, this allowed a noticeable amount of flex from loads on one side of the car. You could buy aluminum braces that worked in both tension and compression, that calmed cross winds considerably. (I have only once felt blown about since I installed one) So far as I know, the re-design of the 2010 solved this and no such brace is needed for the 2010.

Chassis Stiffener, Improve Prius Ride Quality and Handling: JuicedHybrid.com

Thirdly and most silly, I wonder what this guy thinks he is selling?
    ALTERNATOR Toyota Prius 2004 04 05 06 07:eBay Motors (item 170424480757 end time Jan-25-10 11:03:11 PST)

10. Gasitman

Gasitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Real simple answer.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

I see it on many forums I visit. Sometimes I get so upset at people with their idiotic remarks I get sucked into it also and start typing like one. It seems to me people try everyday to push your buttons. Think of it this way, you know dam well 99.9999% of them would NEVER do it to your face. Their just puss's that way.

Like I said, I got sucked into it a few times myself. I have one guy on another board that trolls every post I make and tries to piss me off, I just play right into it. I know he is just a dick, plain and simple. They have no life other than to try and make others miserable. Especially on politics and religion, name calling, threats, then they are the first to whine and cry to a moderator. Typical.

4 people like this.
  11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been guilty of being less than kind to n00bs before and worked on it.

This works both ways.

If I join and immediately question that forum's core values or act like I'm selling something - I expect an unfriendly response. I introduce myself not only to be known, but to assure the forum of the intent to make positive contributions.

My best advise to n00bs is start off with an introduction before hot topics.

I don't think crosswinds are exactly dissing Prius core values.

1 person likes this.
  12. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Going Red beat me to the sarcastic reply! I was going to hit the "you sooooo sensitive!" schtick but I'll be nicer instead.

I go out on the 8e often where there are wicked crosswinds. You have to slow down and hold on tight.

Remember those jerks who know it all have accidents, they have wives that tell them what to do or bosses that are being jerky to them so they like to pass it along. (goes for girls too!)

1 person likes this.
  13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heard a story of a forum that started nominal dues. For some strange reason, trolling completely stopped. ;)

+1 on troll = coward ...known a few face-to-face that would not DARE repeat the stuff said behind my back in chat to me in person.

There are actually a few serial trollers...probably the best thing is the network admin know this is what they really do at work. ;) Sadly, a few like this can make many suspect others of also trolling.

14. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ya, good people here on PChat for the most part. Always a few jerks everywhere you go!! I was on a VW GTI owners chat, Just about every post I made got a sarcastic reply Or a Sh*ty comment. I think a lot of kids?? They want to get a rise out of you.

1 person likes this.
  15. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd pay $25/year for a Priuschat that was trollfree!

16. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My experience here on PC has been 99.9% positive.
    There are a great group of people here.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not sure we're all human. Isn't there at least one Vulcan in residence?

18. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Live long and prosper.

19. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think that PCers are somewhat quick on the trigger when it comes to trolls - and this board seems to attract a lot of them. I think that PCers can be defensive about negative comments.

The problem with this issue is that it isn't consistent across all cars - some small percentage seem to be worse than others. My car was bad until I fixed the rear alignment (something the dealer was unable / refused to do).

Three things you can do to help:

1. Check alignment - a small percentage of cars are delivered with bad alignment, mine was one of them. Fixing rear alignment seemed to have the biggest influence on weird handling in crosswinds. My front camber was messed up too.

2. Better tires - the GY Integrity is a crappy tire. I don't know if you have those on the 2010, but there are many better choices. My car handles much better with Michelin X radials.

3. The steering is sensitive and does not take much input to change the direction of the car at highway speeds. It just takes some time to get used to it.

I come here to post sheep jokes. :madgrin:

1 person likes this.
  20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, different people have different levels of tolerance besides different driving routes and conditions. Some people just like to complain... I can name a few. Sorry to pick on this one guy but if you look at posts like http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...straight-line-stability-fixes.html#post900166 and this guy's previous posts, he seems to have tried all sorts of things on his 2nd gen. I can't tell if his "problem" is really that severe or he just like trying things or he just is a whiner...

Then, you've got the trolls. It sometimes very hard to tell the trolls (esp. those who post w/inflammatory language and titles and it's their first post) or those who have user error issues (e.g. "unintended acceleration" when it was due to their floor mats) from people w/legitimate problems.

On a side note, when I was a newbie looking to see if the Prius had a certain feature found on my Nissans, I got :rolleyes: response at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...6-prius-owner-bunch-questions.html#post176587. :( Gee, thanks.
    Ditto.
    Ditto. We seem to have attracted a lot of trolls in the past few months.