1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the plug-in bicycle beats the plug-in hybrid

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by crichman, Dec 17, 2009.

1. crichman

crichman Junior Member

Well, not when it's raining or snowing;)

I loved our late lamented '96 Prius and I love it's '99 replacement, but we can save a lot more gas by shifting to plug-in hybrid electric bicycles as commuting vehicles than by shifting to plug-in cars (hybrid or otherwise.)

Have a look at Greening the Planet: Why the plug-in bicycle beats the plug-in Prius and all-electric cars to see how many e-bikes you can power with a Prius battery pack, plug-in or otherwise.

(You do know that e-bike folks are already salvaging Prius NiMh cells for bikes, right? Turns out they're pretty good...)

Charlie
    ElectricCyclist.com

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or take it a step further and stop commuting. It's even better to live where you work and shop. I don't need a plug-in anything to get around, unless it's plug-in boots in the winter.

Tom

2 people like this.
  3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Crichman,

96 Prius? Where are you located ? Japan ? Or maybe Trollhatten, Norway ?

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You know that walking is more environmentally friendly than an electric bicycle, right? :madgrin:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    drumming up traffic for his own web site.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And apparently he wants hostile traffic. :rolleyes:

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends on what you want, an apple or an orange. If your desire is automotive transportation, then Prius wins. If your talking the least amount of impact to the planet and getting from point A to point B? Then your best choice is a standard bicycle powered by an organic vegetarian. But the title of the article isn't Why a regular Bicycle beats a plug- in Bicycle.

1 person likes this.
  8. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    All I saw was comparisons of battery capacity. I didn't see anything like an intelligent comparison of energy cost per seat-mile or anything like that.

I used to bike commute a few days a week, in season, about 30 miles a day round trip. Commuting by bike means powering your commute with food calories. The typical US diet is fossil-fuel intensive. When I finally worked through the arithmetic, based on the average US diet (mix of foods), my weight, and so on, I came up with about 66 mpg-equivalent for bicycling. That's in line with other estimates, as here:

Bicycling wastes gas? Yes, if your fuel is meat

Bottom line is that, if I ate the standard US dietary mix (I don't) and my weight were stable, I'd get about the same "mileage" commuting by bike or using my PHEV Prius.

So, the efficiency of the human-powered portion of an ebike depends on what you eat.

OK, then how does the electrical efficiency compare to the typically-cited 4 miles per KWH in a PHEV Prius, or 0.25 kwh/mile?

Based on the data here:

Which Has Lower Emissions Per Mile: An Electric-Assist Bicycle or Electric Scooter? : TreeHugger

I come up with 0.08 kwh/mile for a lightweight electric scooter. (I chose the scooter because I couldn't easily find an electric bike ad that listed the range in all-electric mode. I see electric bikes quotes a lower KWH per hour but (based on all of five minutes' search) all of them involved pedaling. Whereas I want a measure of electrical efficiency.)

If that's about right, then the electric scooter (my proxy for the efficiency of an electric bike) uses about one-third the electricity per mile that a PHEV Prius uses. OK, and I see these headlined at "200 miles per gallon", which would be in the same ballpark (about 3x what the MPG-equivalent of a PHEV Prius.)

So, for the solo commuter, OK, the lightweight electric scooter is better. But three in a Prius is about break-even relative to three on scooters.

Again, no free lunch.

A vegan on a bicycle is about as efficient as it gets for point-to-point commuting. Beyond that, you have to do the arithmetic to calculate the efficiency. I think I'll stick to an un-assisted bike.

Edit: I see Electric Me beat me to the punch regarding vegetarian bicyclists.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What he posted was sort of a forgone conclusion, as sad as it sounds. Think about it... To get from point A to point B, you have the choice of taking a car (3042 lbs for the Prius) or a Bike (lets be very, very generous here... include a battery and a motor, some other stuff strapped on for fun, maybe a kid sitting on the handlebars... 200 lbs).

Which one is going to require more work to move around? I'll give you a hint... it's the one that weighs less. It's the same reason some motorcycles can achieve gas mileage surpassing the Prius. They simply have less to haul around, less actual work to do to get from point A to point B.