1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Why the Toyota Prius is conquering the land of Genghis Khan

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by godzillaismad, Jun 9, 2016.

1. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Came across this article today, very interesting read!

Why the Toyota Prius is conquering the land of Genghis Khan - The Globe and Mail

Essentially, they are doing a lot of testing for us, exposing the cars in extreme cold/harsh environment. Battery is the main issue under this scenario.

However, more reasons to think if you are not living in the extremes of natural environment, your Prii will probably last a lot longer. With cheaper-than-you-think battery replacement cost, more confidence vote to keep the car longer.

2. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great news. The more hybrids and plug-ins are on the road, the less pollution, and the more money people can save on gas and maintenance costs.

I liked that part in the article where they mention the guy getting calls from people who panicked and thought the engine died when they were at a stoplight.

I had that same reaction when I test drove a prius for the first time. The salesman then told me that priuses do that to conserve gas, which then made a lot of sense to me, as I hated idling at lights and in traffic jams in my Honda Civic.

After driving Priuses and now a Chevy Volt, I will never go back to a gas only car unless I absolutely have no other choice.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully there's a pretty strong demand for my 2011 come next week, like the demand in Mongolia.
    And to Ashlem, I looked hard for a good choice (for me) in the alt vehicle space, but didn't find one. C'est la vie.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    did anyone see this part?

They have found flaws. Steering wheel columns and electric cooling pumps break on early models (Toyota has issued recalls for both), and later models have not proven as durable. Drivers criticize the sound insulation and, in Ulan Bator, report real-world fuel economy numbers of seven to nine litres per 100 km, at least 50 per cent worse than what Toyota advertises. Rear shock absorbers give out, and batteries don’t last more than 10 years, far less if the car isn’t driven regularly (Toyota warranties new batteries for five years).

“It would be better if they improved the battery life,” says Batbold, who bought his first Prius in 2010 and opened a repair shop a year later. “In Mongolia, you have so many older models which have been running for many years. The common problem is the battery.”

Between himself, his brothers and his cousins, the family owns six Prius repair businesses.

“In terms of cost, I would definitely recommend Mongolians buy a Prius,” he said. “But in terms of reliability, it depends on the age of the car.”

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, what about it?

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think that the Prii are seeing rougher road conditions in terms of road surfaces in much of Mongolia.