1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why there's no guide lines on backup camera of 2012 prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by figer, Nov 19, 2011.

1. figer

figer New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just did a test drive today, it's the base model of 2012 prius v in Canada, and noticed there's no guide lines shows on the screen when doing Reserve drive.

But base on the manual here, it should has guide lines on it

Toyota Display Audio System Owners Manual w/o NAV: Rear View Monitor System

Does anybody know how to setup the backup camera to let it shows the guide lines?

2. dz302

dz302 Prius Rookie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'll have to check mine out. No lines, but I just assumed it was supposed to be that way.

3. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    In Holland the guidelines are only part of the fully loaded version, or AT package in The States.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does say "If equipped" hinting that it's not standard. I was under the impression that the lines were on the Premium HDD model. (So the Touring + Tech package)

5. figer

figer New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Too bad, the backup camera is not so useful without the guild lines.

6. hibou

hibou New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Actually it's just a matter of getting used to the perspective. If you notice in the backup camera you can see the rear bumper. So the edge of the bumper is my visual guideline. It's been helpful so far.

7. dz302

dz302 Prius Rookie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I use mine primarily what it's meant for, to aid in not running over a child or backing into an object directly behind the vehicle. There is even talk of making them standard "safety" equipment by 2018 or so. I don't agree with that, as we already have too much safety and convenience stuff in our cars. But, I do like the added margin it gives for reverse parking and such.

8. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don’t get how you use the rear camera and back up visually--- I mean..I have my head turned around looking backwards…the screen is forward.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah while they are nice to have, what do you really need it for? Just make sure your bumper doesn't hit whatever you're reversing into. I look out the rear window, back into the spot and just for the final touches, I look at the camera to see how close my bumper is to the car behind.

10. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I slowly back out of my garage I am looking only at the MFD which tells me if there is anything immediately behind me on the driveway. If a child or animal were running towards my driveway I probably wouldn't see them anyway at this point and the important thing is that if they get behind me I will see them on the display, and since I am backing out slowly I can easily stop. Once on the driveway I glance left and right down the street to see if there are any cars coming, then as I continue to slowly back out onto the street it's a pattern of glance right, MFD, glance left, MFD, glance right, etc. As I back into the street I am looking at the MFD not only for children but also keeping an eye on my neighbor's mailbox so that I don't back into it!

Initially it felt unsafe looking forward at the MFD but as long as you combine it with looking around you it is far safer than just looking behind you or looking at your mirrors.

11. figer

figer New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know the backup camera can help to make sure nothing 'hiding' behind you car.
    And I also agree that moving my head to check everywhere is much more safer than rely on the backup camera.

But my point is, the backup camera can help a lot with the guide lines. Like when you backing in in the parking lot, the guide lines can help you to make sure if your car is straight or not. And you can easily to estimate how far away from your rear bumper to the other car.

Technically I don't think there is any difficulty to add the guide lines on the backup camera. Just don't know why Toyota don't add this feature in the base Prius v as standard.

12. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible it's on the 7" screen only and not on the 6.1" Display Audio versions.

14. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm sorry to be dense, but I don't understand what "guidelines" means? I have a 2008 Prius and I absolutely love the back-up camera and will never have another car without one. The Prius V does have the back-up camera, right? Does my 2008 not have these "guidelines" that everyone is talking about? How do the guidelines help? Thanks.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's version of the guide-lines consist of 3 boxes in the colours green, yellow and red dictating the distance the object in the camera is from the rear of the car. It basically helps in identifying the width of the car and how far you are to the object behind because of the distorted nature of the fish-eye lens.

IPA - Reverse Parking - YouTube

Bottom right of the screen. It's hard to see the yellow and green in this video but you can see the red box

IPA - Parallel Parking - YouTube

16. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks so much for explaining guidelines to me. It sounds like a great idea!