1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Widest 16" tire for 05 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Steve Zettel, May 16, 2005.

1. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Pardon me if this has been answered somewhere on the site, but I didn't have much luck turning up an answer. Lots of posts addressing +1, +2 and even +3 rims. . .

When the Goodyear Integrity tires come off the stock rims for studded snow tires this winter, I was considering going to aftermarket wheels and tires the following spring. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the favorite all season tires -- Goodyear Comfortreds or Tripletreds, or Michelin HydroEdge tires come in 195/55 16" sizes. Will 205/55 16" tires safely fit the 05 Prius?

Thanks for the help,

Steve Zettel
    near Libby, MT USA

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? that's interesting

Well, they may fit but note that because they're wider, they may rub against the inside of the fender. Avoid full locks.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

What is your source? I am not sure if it was Goodyear, but I have heard that the web had bad information for a tire manufacturer. In other words the manufacturer's site didn't list the Prius for that tire, but they had the size.

4. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Discount Tire (www.tires.com) has that size listed as an option. They seemed more willing than other big retailers to consider alternate sizes, when I was shopping for tires.

5. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"90286)</div>
    Hi Dan,

Neither the Goodyear site nor the TireRack.com site have a ComfortTred or TripleTred listed in 195/55 16"

Steve

6. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gschoen\";p=\"90304)</div>
    Interesting. I just did a series of searches at Discount Direct online (I was referred there by the site since I am more than 100 miles from the nearest store) -- the *only* hit was for a Dunlop tire, and that was in 195/50/16.

Thanks for the pointer though -- my alternate plan will probably be to go with TripleTreds in 190/60/15 and lightweight aftermarket wheels. Cheaper, too.

Steve

7. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can save weight, gain contact patch area and improve performance (at the expense of fuel economy) by careful tire selection. Compare specs at the Tire Rack site.

I've run Bridgestone Potenza RE-950's and Goodyear Triple Treds, both in 195/60HR-15 size. No rub at all. Both are heavy, but with the overall smaller diameter than OEM compensate by lower effective final drive. My butt dyno says they accelerate better than stock, and in the case of the Potenzas, change Prius towards a sports sedan.

For my '06, I'm considering the Yokohama Advan AVS db ultra high performance all-season tire in 205/60-15 size that will fit on the stock rim, if the size is still available this November. Tire Rack told me that 205/60 will rub slightly at full lock, so some mods might be in order. The Advan is a superlight tire in that size, about the same as the OEM tire.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where did 195/60R15 come from?

My Goodyear dealer priced those for me in TripleTreds, and when I 'corrected' him to 195/65R15 like www.tires.com said, it ended up saving me $6 per tire.

So the chart says:
    What chart says 195/60R15 will not change reported mileage (or whatever else a total diameter change will do)?...

9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Size came from the dealer. They've been on my car since Day 1.

I don't understand your chart question. The TT's did reduce fuel economy slightly, but nowhere near as much as the Potenzas in the same size. I've posted previously about my experience with both here.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My question is about tire size changes:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
    185/65-15 4.7in 12.2in 24.5in 76.9in 824 0.0%
    195/60-15 4.6in 12.1in 24.2in 76.1in 833 -1.0%

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
    185/65-15 4.7in 12.2in 24.5in 76.9in 824 0.0%
    195/65-15 5.0in 12.5in 25.0in 78.5in 807 2.1%

When www.tires.com said use 195/65, I assumed it was the correct thing to do. Now looking at the results of this calculator, I can't tell what I should have done...

11. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to Tire Rack's site and compare revs/mile between brands. For any given size, rpm's tend vary between brands. That played a part in my decision in choosing a smaller diameter, lighter, all-season HR rated tire. Improved acceleration and grip were priorities over fuel economy.