1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Widest tire on stock 15" Rims

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by joeschumi, Mar 2, 2024.

1. joeschumi

joeschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before anyone ask Why wider tires?:) My 2012 PlugIn has been the most reliable car ever had and with 220K miles it has served me well. At this point, I am not worried about mpg loss, whether the tires are going to last 80k miles vs 60K miles , Price difference of couple of hundred dollars etc All I am looking for is something different. All Season tires on stock rims that will not rub..

Have used 205 60 15 in the past without any rubbing or issues. But the tire choices on this size are are very less. Any other suggestions?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    205 is a tough size I have a some 17-in steelies that went on my persona and I had 205 60 17 obviously the 215 what is it 45 17 will fit. I don't know what you can get for width and what series in 15 in If you could get 215 55 that might fit.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The cheap tire manufacturers will make a lot of funky tire sizes of this purpose I buy them all the time from like waterfall eco and a few other brands I can't think of right off top but they usually last about 30,000. 35 some 40 maybe.

4. joeschumi

joeschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone used 215 55's on 15 in stock rims?

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What's the total OD of that 215/55 that should tell ya pretty quick

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long have you had it? Mostly driven in EV mode? Ever cleaned the EGR?

7. joeschumi

joeschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had it brand new from 2012. Still on original brake pads. I think 30% on EV.

Routine maintenance recommended here except Water pump, EGR valve cleaning. Those are on the TO DO list.

Right now wanted to see the widest All season tires that can go on stock15"rims without any rubbing issues. My PIP has served me well....may I should pamper it with some nice wider tires....just kidding:)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wider tires are you having grip issues right now I'm talking about in the dry situation not in the wet so you can sling your Prius around and make the rear end slide out and all of this and that kind of stuff seriously maybe on a skid pad. You have all these non-disable safety features like skid control traction control all of that so when you start to rip it up aren't you invoking all those Amber lights telling you the traction control is coming on and the skid control computers going crazy and all of that stuff and it's trying to account for that and slow you down and all that stuff that. that does?. I mean look at the tires on the 17-in wheels on the personas or whoever gets them aren't those like 245 45 17 or something like that?

9. bbrages

bbrages Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Do not think dishonestly.
    2. The Way is in training.
    3. Become acquainted with every art.
    4. Know the Ways of all professions
    5. Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters.
    6. Develop an intuitive judgment and understanding for everything.
    7. Perceive those things which cannot be seen.
    8. Pay attention even to trifles.
    9. Do nothing which is of no use.

10. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So 220k miles and no egr cleaning and no blown head gasket? Wow...most here would have us all believe that's impossible! I'll bet there might be a "couple" more out there like this one.....

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I read solar roof car went I think she said it's at 386 and just started rattling and I made her park it and she's driving a loaded JBL generation 2. I didn't want her to completely blow it up It just started rattling probably not going to do much with it it's in bad shape and other ways cosmetic etc and the only reason it made this kind of mileage I've seen some other ones make 400 generation 3s right here in Raleigh North Carolina they were cabs no engines replaced they got the rattling in the head gasket and all that this one cab in Raleigh I know 400 and some change our car I think is at 386 I will check that tomorrow but I'm within 20,000 mi easily of the right number It's sitting here parked.

12. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 PlugIn has been the most reliable car ever had and with 220K miles it has served me well.
    I had it brand new from 2012. Still on original brake pads. I think 30% on EV.

Routine maintenance recommended here except Water pump, EGR valve cleaning. Those are on the TO DO list.

Here's what I read.

13. joeschumi

joeschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am leaning towards 215 60 15's. Compared to stock 195 65 15 here are the differences
    Diameter 25" to 25.2"
    Width 7.7" to 8.5"
    Sidewall 5" to 5.1"
    Circum. 78.4"to 79"

Not a whole lot of choices. Saw some decent reviews on YOKOHAMA AVID TOURING-S

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've had the Yokohama touring asses they're not too bad they didn't last a whole long time I can't remember all the particulars I don't buy a lot of big name brand tires because I go through them so fast or I used to now not quite as bad but I'm not down for $600 sets of tires That's just the cost of the tires now mind you not mounting and balancing etc but that's about right because I can fit those in 15 or 17 on my persona without much problem as you see by the numbers nothing is increasing by leaps and bounds the width I don't even think will rub in a full turn but you'll have to see and how often are you doing that