1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wierd Picture Today of My Ride in the Dallas Area

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PA, Jan 17, 2007.

1. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 17 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]376983[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I remember that one. It turned to ice, that was the problem. I thought I had it rough when my 20 min. commute turned into 2 1/2 hours, but when I went to work the next day I heard stories of others that were worse than mine. One co-worker didn't get home until early in the morning. There were some guys who went downtown for lunch (10-15 min. away), and didn't get back to the office until after 6pm. And there were a few who didn't make it home at all (stayed at the office).

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is one of those rare days it snows to the point work is called off in Dallas. Just an inch of snow and 25F, but road crews are not that experienced in it. Much more critical, there are plenty of idiots that attempt to do 60-70mph - until the black ice finds them. :p

I'm on I35E just of the Bush Tollway in Lewisville, Texas, but if you look at the Toyota Camery, it seems like I'm on I94 near Tony's neighborhood. :D

[​IMG]

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 17 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]376934[/snapback]</div>
    Also plenty of idiots talking on their cell phones while driving on black ice - or worse - taking pictures with them while they are driving. :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Raid a supermarket and go home. We had an inch of snow here, once. It was like the end of world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Jan20.html

North Carolina Capital Disabled by Inch of Snow

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Jan 17 2007, 03:14 AM) [snapback]377036[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of Snow Jam '82 here in Atlanta. Everybody was at work, forecasters sound the alarm of a big snow storm coming. Businesses across the city release their workers all at the same time, so everybody is in their cars on the streets at 3 in the afternoon. Big traffic jam. Then the snow hits on top of that, and there were cars scattered, stalled, smashed all over the place. Lots of folks wind up leaving their cars, walking back to work, and sleeping in their office buildings...

Man, I just realized that was 25 years ago... time flies...

6. s.e.tx_parrothead

s.e.tx_parrothead New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It gets better when you go further south in Texas...Dallas had the snow and ice...Down here in East Texas/Houston area we had the ice. If people in the Metroplex don't know how to deal with icy situations, try down here. I grew up in the TX panhandle and have dealt with the snow/ice situation, but down here....people are crazy. I will not get on the highway down here unless I absolutely have to.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 17 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]376983[/snapback]</div>
    i remember that too :lol: what a lasting impression of my first north carolina winter!

it took me a half hour to get off the duke campus because one person would go through the intersection every time the light was green... then a UPS truck got stuck in the intersection.

and people followed me because, like in the OP's picture, i had northern state license plates so i must have known how to drive in it. this disturbed me because it's about your experience with snow, not following the right person to get there :huh:

we got hit with a decent size storm while we were up in wi last week... i think it was about 7 inches, and we were still prepared to drive in it to go see my dad way up north. go figure.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I was talking with my wife the other day (after scraping a nice sheet of ice off my windows) and told her that I'm tired of snow. I want to move to somewhere where it doesn't snow.

"Yeah, good luck with that," was her reply. Seems nowhere is safe these days.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Delta Flyer,

If that car in front of you got stuck you'd be trapped. If you can't see the entire tire, you're too close. Leaving that amount of space allows you to be able to swing around. Learned this from AAA driving class.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Geeeez, we never got out of school with less than 18" of snow when I was growing up in Bozeman, Mt. Then all that meant was we had to walk. . . -30F, gale force winds, uphill, both ways, barefoot, yada, yada.

Wildkow

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 20 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]378296[/snapback]</div>
    Playa del Carmen, in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico. It never snows. Or, for that matter, anywhere on the Yucatan Peninsula.

Alice Springs, Australia. I've never been there. But if it ever snowd there you'd be really really happy.

Or coastal Oaxaca. When I was in the University at Queretaro, there was a girl from coastal Oaxaca. One day, early in the semester, I had walked to school in shorts and a t-shirt. It was around 72 F. and I was sweating. This girl came to class in a full sweat suit and was cold. I asked her, and she said, "Where I come from, it never gets this cold."

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jan 20 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]378542[/snapback]</div>
    I was trapped along with many others.

If the picture was more wide-angle, it would be obvious that we were just off the tollway and inching along in queue over the next quarter mile to board I35E. Strange - wait in line for a quarter mile under 5mph to board the freeway, most drive 70mph for the next 12 miles, then crawl the next quarter mile like in the picture to get up to freeway speed again. Guess it beats crawling the entire length.

The close up was to make sure everyone could see the Illnois plate and be amused it was the Dallas area looking like Chicagoland.

No, I was not drafting behind the Camery. :D