1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife drove 06 Prius half mile with red triangle on the whole time; car shut down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dslomer64, Aug 1, 2016.

1. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Car just stopped, she said. Wouldn't go. Police told her to try to move it; it ran okay, she said.

When I got there, not even check engine light was on, and no red triangle.

She has no clue if there was any diagnostic message on the display.

While waiting for tow, I powered it up and since there were no warnings of any kind, I drove it in a tight circle around the parking lot she was in. Ran fine, but battery indicator had only two purple bars.

Since tow was almost two hours away, decided to do a potentially stupid thing and drive to Toyota dealer three miles away. No problems; in fact, got all but one green bar on battery indicator. Had she not told me about shutdown, I'd have thought all was normal.

They found quite a few codes stored, one of which was temperature related, one about injector coils, others I forget. They explained that the codes more or less cascaded owing to the serious nature of the shutdown. They plan to clear the codes, run it until check engine light or triangle appears and see what the code is.

They'll call tomorrow with what they want to do.

Has this happened to anyone? Any thoughts about how screwed I am?

P. S. Triangle had appeared several times in past two years, but always immediately went off. Twice the message was oil problem. Oil level was fine. Toyota found no problem with anything oil related. But nothing remotely resembling a real problem such as shutting down.

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the car just freaked out for no reason. Maybe some fuse got bumped loose and went back into place. Drive it with the technician until something bad happens. It doesn't seem smart, but might as well if no lights are on. Good luck!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the first sign of a bad battery. how hot was it? you should check/clean the battery cooling fan.
    how many miles on her?

jeff652 likes this.
  4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This does fit the pattern of a weakening hybrid battery. We hear stories like this from our customers often. The ignition reset (turning car off and back on) resets everything and the car runs OK for a while before the symptoms return again.

If you start performing preventative maintenance on the hybrid battery now you can likely avoid battery failure for a few years or more. If you wait until the hybrid fails it will probably require at least a module or two to be replaced:
    What causes hybrid batteries to degrade and fail? - Prolong Battery Systems - Hybrid Automotive

Starship_Enterprius and bisco like this.
  5. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    165k miles. It's been very hot, in the 90s, but when the problem occurred, it was about 88°F.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jeff has some good advice on reconditioning. do you carry any pets? fur seems to be the number one cooling fan clogger.

7. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    I agree that this matches symptoms I had with a traction battery fault. In my case water had got in and the terminals had become rusty, so got the leak repaired and the battery terminals and all now fine.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How old is the smaller 12v battery?

9. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No pets, but I'm going bald...

10. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know for sure, but probably about five years, at least three. Toyota checked both it and the hybrid battery and found no problems.

11. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The several codes that were stored didn't suggest what had gone wrong.Toyota agrees it could have just been a glitch, then added that this will probably keep happening, more frequently as car ages. Not what I wanted to hear but it only cost $50 for my trouble, half what they originally wanted to charge.

But, seriously... fuse bumped loose then back into place?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more likely one of the two batteries. with intermittent problems, testing doesn't always work. 10 year old car, 165k, triangle appears now and then, could be something loose, could be anything. could even be a bad solder on the back of the mfd. if you can't diy, you should probably trade her for a younger model.

13. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's interesting that your dealer hinted that the problem will likely return. They probably don't know what the early warning signs of battery degradation are. They will just wait for the failure then try to sell you an entirely new battery for 7x the cost of a little preventative maintenance.

bisco likes this.
  14. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's what happened with my A/C blower, the A/C would turn on after I hit a bump or pothole. $300 fix

15. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm ignorant of this preventive maintenance. Can you point me somewhere?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model: