1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wife needs a shoehorn

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vibeowner, Aug 14, 2005.

1. vibeowner

vibeowner New Member

Wife wants a Prius, I nearly fit. But if I recline the seat for head room the steering is too far away. Driver leg room is skimpy but would be acceptable with more seat base tilt for thigh support.

- I saw a post mentioning adjustable seat height on a European Prius. Are the parts available for retrofit? Would it help?

- Rumored 2006 model changes do not include a solution -- any hope there?

I am not averse to cutting metal and making my own parts (lowered the rear of my Fiat and Mazda seats, raised the front of my Vibe seat), but I'd feel better if I knew there was a proven fix. Since she wants a Prius with all the options, I have to deal with seat air bags too.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome to Priuschat and to prius ownership! You're right that have been a few posts about adusting the seats. I'm not as comfprtable doing those things as you so I never went into detail with them.

You probably want to do the work yourself, but perhaps a good mechanic would be able to help. Unless, of course, you are a good mechanic in which case I may have just insulted you. :oops:

All the same, welcome to Priuschat! Pull up a chair, get comfortable, and stay a while.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess its all in what you are comfortable with, but i like the steering wheel being a long way off. that is the first point of contact in an accident and considering the explosive nature of air bag deployment, i will definitely put up with the arm stretch.

i will admit though that one a few long drives i get lazy and just hold the wheel at the bottom for a bit of a break.

but i think that you will be very happy should you decide to get a Prius and there are ways of making anything work if you are willing to work it.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the driver's seat has the position sensor for the air bags and it has to be in a certain position to set the proper discharge of the air bag in an accident. This was discussed here on PC early last year. There are ways of remounting the position sensor so as to not jeopardise your life in an accident. Sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem at first light.