1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife won't drive my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ronald56, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Ronald56

Ronald56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I finally got my new Prius on Saturday, the only problem is my wife says its too small and she will not drive in it. Anybody else ever go through this? Anyway, any ideas to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You don't have to share?

There are stories of husbands being mocked by wifes, for wanting a Prius so bad. Then after he gets it, she discovers how nice the driving experience really is... becoming the primary driver of it. He ends up having to wait for their purchase of a second before getting back to having his own Prius again.

Enjoy the solitude while you can.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronald56 @ Jul 18 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]481334[/snapback]</div>
    What car is she comparing it to? The Prius is rated as a mid-sized car.

JeffD

4. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish I could offer you some advice. I got my Prius in January 2006 and to date my wife drove 1 mile in my car. It could have had something to do with that both her father and mine are GM retires, the fact that it has a button, the brakes are too touchy etc.

With gas prices she does ride in it without complaining, since her vehicle is a Yukon that gets 14.4 mpg on average.

If you figuire it out please post.

5. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Too small for what???

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronald56 @ Jul 18 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]481334[/snapback]</div>
    1. You're married; it's *our* Prius.

2. Surely she was present when you were considering new vehicles...wasn't she...?

Sounds to me like she wanted you to get something else; I suspect it's not a total surprise that she reacted in this way. Perhaps you might take her for a ride or two when the traffic isn't too heavy, or on a less traveled route...? Or, if it's the "but SUV's are safer" thing, there are lots of sound refutations of this assertion, here and elsewhere.

Strikes me odd, though; I'd think this would usually involve a sports car, not something as practical as the Prius. I mean, if you went out and bought a Corvette, perhaps...but a Prius...?

Uh oh, she wanted you to buy a Corvette, didn't she?!?
    [laughing]

7. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 18 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]481365[/snapback]</div>
    Easy solution: pop in the TRD suspension, a set of 18x8 wheels, a K&N cone filter, the Tom's muffler, window tint, a subwoofer, and the new skirt panels all around. It'll look bigger, sound bigger, and handle bigger. :lol:

8. Ronald56

Ronald56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Jul 18 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]481346[/snapback]</div>
    JeffD,

I had a 2007 Lexus RX350 and a Mercedes ML320 before so she is used to SUV's that I have had. She drives a Volvo wagon. She drove in the Prius once, when we picked it up from the dealer on Saturday, not since. I know if she would just allow herself a chance during a longer ride, she would probably see it is fine. I believe she thinks she may actually enjoy it, therefore, if she thinks it is too small and unsafe, she better not try it and like it - see the conflict?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ Jul 18 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]481363[/snapback]</div>

Too small to be safe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 18 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]481365[/snapback]</div>
    You are right, it is not a total surprise. During my purchase and finding the car (took about 6 weeks) I had been talking about it. She mentioined she thought I was crazy, I just kept being positive - gas mileage, midsize, good crash numbers, that sort of thing. I thought she would (and I am hoping she will) come around and accept it.

What do you mean that there are a lot of sound refutations of this assertion, here and elsewhere?

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronald56 @ Jul 18 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]481380[/snapback]</div>
    So she wants a big honkin' SUV because she thinks that's safer?

Do a little research on the rollovers on that thing. And don't forget to mention that the SUV is exempt from some of the safety testing and requirements because it's not a "car".

The Prius with the side curtain airbags is plenty safe.

She still doesn't like it? Consider yourself lucky as you won't have to share. Her loss.

10. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    before buying mine, i was back and forth between the Nissan Versa and the Prius. obviously, I ended up with the Prius but my fiancee was less than thrilled...

i think more than once she rolled her eyes and muttered, "hippie..." (my response? "so?")

she thought it was ugly (she liked the Versa) and hated the back window. she thought it was going to feel even smaller than the Versa and that it wasn't going to be worth the extra money to drive the Prius.

basically, she was as anti-Prius as she could be without us getting in a fight about it. then she rode in it.

now she says that if they would "fix" the back window, she might buy one... :lol:

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife liked it so much that she took over the Prius. It was suppose to be my replacement car for my stolen F250. So I had to go back to the dealer to get another one. lol Actually now I hate when she drives mine because she lowers my MPG score. hehehe

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronald56 @ Jul 18 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]481334[/snapback]</div>
    1. Enjoy having the superior car to yourself.

2. Make sure she pays for her own gas herself. Compare bills whenever possible.

3. Show her the roll over reports of whatever Suburban Assault Vehicle she wants.

4. Tell her how my complaint about the Prius is that it's too big (and I sometimes miss my Geo Metro).

5. Show her that the Prius is safer than most 4x4s, especially if you spring for the side air bags.

13. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

All reports show that a mid-size CAR is a lot safer than the biggest SUV and not just because of roll over issues. SUVs=safe is a MYTH!

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And this is a problem, because.....why? :rolleyes:

My GF is afraid to drive mine, which works for me. :p

15. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    "The safest car is the one that doesnt get into an accident"

a prius is more maneuverable than an SUV. You can avoid an accident much easier than a two and a half ton beast.

16. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

17. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If her issue with the size of the Prius, you can show her the crash test results:
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/toyota_prius_2004/193.aspx

The Prius got a rating 5 (maximum) and that is more than a Volvo S60.

from the EuroNCAP-site:
    In an accident involving only one car, it is usually safer in a Prius than in a regular SUV.

18. FiftyOneMPG

FiftyOneMPG New Member

As a man, there's no way to win this.

If she never gets in the Prius, she's right... It's a tin can death trap.

If you talk her in to a 5 minute trip to the grocery store just to see that it's ok, you know that you'll get crashed into and she'll be right.

So... Owning up to her being right one way or the other right away is going to be your best choice. You bought the prius to save energy. Well, save some here and give up now before you burn any more brain cells trying to win this one. :lol: :lol:

19. priussoris

priussoris New Member

20. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have to state--this is NOT a female issue necessarily.

My hubby does not drive my Prius (I haven't encouraged him to) but he doesn't mind riding in it and loves to tell people about it and how it's changed me as a driver.

The other comments are great. I'd add that you just announce "I'm going to ..... You are welcome to come along. If not, see you later." :p