1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WiFi network music

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tadashi, May 26, 2006.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone build a setup where your home computer can upload music and playlists to your Prius? If so, how did you do this?

2. benighted

benighted New Member

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an iPod but had heard about someone who had a setup so that he could interface with his car though his computer using his Wifi network.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

As far as I know, Prius does not have wifi (802.11)
    Bluetooth (on some models), yes.

Apple sells a wifi gadget with a sound out jack. Maybe that was the hack ?

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With a computer in the car it is very easy for me to transfer anything between my Prius and the home network. All I gotta do is switch on the car (doesn't have to be fully started, Accessory power is fine), and the computer will connect to the network on startup. I can then remote connect to it and download new media. It is quite awesome now with Wireless-G.... don't even think about using B wireless.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you installed this stuff all in that little compartment below the CD changer? What components did you require to do the Wifi? I do not plan on repacing the amp if possible. Will it play the MP4s that iTunes uses?

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tadashi,

Check out ->This thread. I helped my cousin install a computer in his Prius as well. He had the basic radio system and output the sound from the computer to the stock stereo using AUX-Box. Anything that you can play in XP should be able to play through this setup as well.

8. Robbert

Robbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ May 26 2006, 01:56 AM) [snapback]261207[/snapback]</div>
    Hi.. Depending on how much functionality you might want, check out the Omnifi DMP1. It may not be easy to get one since I believe they're discontinued, but I'm running one in my Prius. Easy install and low price (I paid $250 for the unit, including the 802.11 adapter). The unit syncs every time you turn the car off and at a specific time you specify (like 2am at night). You make modifications to the playlists and MP3 library on the PC and they automatically get synced to the Omnifi at night.. I use it to record a radio show over the web at night and it automatically syncs that show to the Prius so I can listen to it on my commute in the morning. Completely hands off, and nice solution!

Robbert