1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wild ride: Flu turns nasty with appendicitis

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by octavia, Oct 12, 2009.

1. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ended up rushing my 8 year old to the ER yesterday with tummy pain. He was just getting over the flu, and the sudden onset of acute tummy pain scared me.

An ultra sound showed it was his appendix so they removed it.
    I'm a stressed out mess.... We started this journey by trying to go to a walk in "urgent care" clinic but didn't even stay to register him there. We waited in the parking lot for 30 minutes ( I was pulled UP TO the front door) for them to open. During that time, several staff arrived at work and went in, leaving us outside. Then closer to opening time another woman showed up with her teen and raced past us to get to the unlocking door. She then raced forward in the waiting room to assure that she be seen first. I was so disgusted. I could not race her because my son hurt to much to walk, I was carrying him. As I stood waiting for her to finish "checking in", I overheard her talking to the receptionist:

"Yeah, I could have waited until tomorrow and taken her to her reg. Dr. but why miss work? Besides she has a fever...."

I was so pissed!! Finally I interrupted her "networking session" to tell the receptionist that we had been there waiting in the parking lot and that I showed up early because I was very concerned about my son etc.

They told us to just go the ER anyway because they didn't have an ultra sound anyway. We did and encountered an equally callous and uncaring staff there. It seems that if you need EMERGENCY care, you have to pay for and arrive in an ambulance, otherwise, you can sit in the waiting room and die for all they care.

GRRRRRRR!! I am so angry!!!!

I'm too tired and stressed to offer a more coherent version or to finish hte story right now, but to sum up, he is recovering and although his once beautiful "outie" is now an "innie" he should be fine.

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Octavia,

I can feel your pain, but hope your Son is doing well and recovering quickly....It's amazing, unless you say you have chest pains, bring a lunch! :mad:

Hope all goes well for your son....say hello from the Prius Chat folks will ya! :)

Bob

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Generally a trip in the ambulance doesn't help either. You do get treatment from the EMTs, but once you get to the ER the normal triage process kicks in. Some people who have tired of sitting in the ER waiting room have left the hospital and then called 911 to get an ambulance ride, figuring it would help, only to find themselves waiting once again. You need life threatening symptoms to jump ahead in line. Something like a severed head will bump you up a spot or two. You get extra points if you carry your head in by the hair.

Tom

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Octavia I'm glad you were able to get your child the immediate care he needed. I didn't even know appendicitis was a possibility in a young child. I understand your dilemma regarding the butting in mother, but I would have had it out with her right there and then for her callousness. As a direct result of the atmosphere in this country brought upon by the loud but ineffectual right wing of this country I personally have lost all regard for civility and will challenge anyone I THINK has stepped on my place/toes. Yep, whether they are right or wrong, all it takes is my PERCEPTION to earn someone like her a fight. EXACTLY like Ammo demonstrates in his posts, I KNOW BETTER than anyone else about all things and to get in my way is to earn my wrath. You are a better person than I.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I know exactly how you feel, Octavia. A few years back (just after i had graduated) one of my Fraternity brothers got sick. He took care of himself, skipping half a weeks worth of classes. When things kept getting worse, he went to the clinic nearby, and was told it was just the flu and to go home and drink plenty of fluids. The weekend rolled around, and his parents came up (they were about an hour away) to take him home for the weekend until he got better. That night, he started coughing up blood. They rushed him to the local hospital, and early the next morning he was on a helicopter heading for the Cleveland Clinic. 6 months later he had a heart transplant.

The problem with our medical system isn't the care is can provide - we have access to some of the best medicine in the world. Our problem is the cost is so horribly high, that we use emergency rooms and emergency clinics as our only form of medicine. Instead of scheduling an appointment with a doctor after feeling symptoms (I'm not talking about things like the flu here - symptoms that could indicate something seriously wrong), we wait until things are so horrible, so unbearable that our only recourse is to seek immediate help, overloading our emergency rooms. Those people who wait like that only hurt themselves, and innocent people like you trying to use those facilities in cases that are actually appropriate (Appendicitis comes on suddenly, and needs to be treated immediately).

I'm glad to hear it all worked out for the best. I know how frustrating it is sitting there, knowing a loved one needs help, but unable to provide it or have other provide it quicker. The worst is behind you now, all that's left is enjoying time with your son while he recuperates.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had mine yanked out at 8. I don't even remember that procedure, my folks claimed it was pretty exciting for them

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I once cracked my skull (yes, I know, explains a lot doesn't it?) and was bleeding from the nose and right ear. I still sat in the ER from about 8pm until after midnight because of the gunshots and stabbings that were getting bumped ahead of me.

Octavia, you can't expect people to be civil in our modern society - of course that woman believed that her convenience was more important than anything else. They all do.

8. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow what a scary and infuriating experience for a parent.

I had my appendix out when I was 30 so I can imagine how your son felt. Most painful and scary experience I ever had considering it had burst. I was bed ridden for a week with a high fever after the surgery. My idiot family doctor had thought it was just some digestive issue!! I had to go to the ER and insist I had a real problem after the pain became unbearable. After 5-6 hrs of waiting they finally decided to give me a cat scan to discover the appendix had perforated.

Recently one of our daughters had febrile seizures when she was 18 months old ... she started turning blue so we freaked out and took her to the ER. We weren't treated so rudely as you were, but I was infuriated by the incompetence of the docs. They had no idea if it were a viral or bacterial infection, seemed clueless as to what it might be. I lost count of how many times they drew blood and catherized her for urine samples.
    Hours later one of the young ER residents finally decided to try a spinal tap to see if she had meningitis. I had to hold my poor baby down while the newbie kept trying to draw spinal fluid, couldn't get a single drop. She ended up staying in the hospital for a few days until the fever passed away on its own.

Anyways, my daughter and I have survived. But I still can't believe how much much I had to pay out of pocket for these trips to the ER. I can't imagine how much it would have cost without insurance. Probably $25K for the appendectomy, and at least $10K for my daughter's.

9. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious, do the docs think the flu somehow caused the appendicitis, or was the timing a coincidence?

10. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree 100% I've done our healthcare system with insurance and without... I know how frustrating it can be on both sides of the trap. Regular Dr.'s don't HAVE to see you if you can't pay upfront, ER docs are not supposed to take that into consideration. For some people, ER medicine is all they can access.... There was a couple in the ER waiting room with a baby when I got there, they were "in line" so to speak and they told me to go ahead of them. 100% different than the marketing lady ( she was dropping names and crap while smoozing while we all waited in line behind her) at the clinic earlier. I almost cried from relief when they did and you know what? I'd be willing to bet money they were there because they did not have insurance to go anywhere else.

11. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "exciting". What a nice way to put it. :)
    I do believe I will take to drinking a bit more after this.
    That and moved to Canada.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm glad it all came out well for your boy in the end, Octavia.

I left California while I was young enough that I'd never had any medical experience but routine check-ups and vaccinations. In Fargo, Seville, and Spokane I've had the occasional trip to the hospital and always encountered friendly and professional service. I've waited over an hour past my time for an appointment for something routine, but never had to wait excessively for emergency care.

On a couple of occasions when I went to "urgent care" because it was outside regular clinic hours and I didn't think I wanted to wait until Monday, I was told to go to the emergency room because urgent care didn't have the necessary equipment.

I think the advantage of living in a smaller city, like Fargo or Spokane, or a country with a rational health-care system like Spain, is that you get better treatment from a less-crowded system. Of course, except in Spain where I paid cash, I've always had health insurance.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And be too drunk to get the poor kid to the hospital next time there's an emergency? Alcohol never solved anything. :( Yeah, I know: you're joking. I've just seen too many lives destroyed by drinking to be able to laugh at that kind of joke.

Canada is a great place. I love it there. I seriously considered moving there several times, but it always seemed inconvenient for one reason or another.

Edited to correct spelling typo.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The emergency system isn't the only portion that is overloaded. I can afford the cost of a standard non-emergency visit. But the providers are booked so far in advance that the first available appointment often occurs after the point where I will be either dead, or recovered.

15. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They said it is not uncommon to get appendicitis after a viral infection.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This probably comes of living in a small city with a good health-care system for those of us with insurance, but my experience is that if I want to schedule a routine check-up I may have to wait a long time, but if I phone and tell my doctor (or his nurse, more likely) that it's something that really cannot wait, they'll usually fit me in within a few days. They often (at least here) save a little bit of time in their schedule for that sort of thing. But you have to have an established relationship with the doctor. They won't squeeze in a new patient that way.

Otherwise, Urgent Care is for matters that are NOT emergencies, but which cannot wait for a regular appointment.

OTOH, a friend of mine told me this story, from when he lived in San Francisco: His friend (my friend insisted that this happened to his friend) fell and cut his head. He went to the emergency room and took a number. He waited and waited and finally got tired of waiting and went home. The following morning, unable to find his wallet, he decided to go to the emergency room and see if he had dropped it there. While he was looking for it, they called his number. :confused: Big-city public-hospital emergency rooms are very overloaded.

Of course, the solution to people using the emergency room for routine care is a universal one-payer system.

17. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I try to find humor in most things. It makes the good parts of life better and the bad parts bearable. ;)

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At least he's recovering now, if you can look on the bright side yet. As a parent, I have some idea what you're going through.

Funny, I don't find anything inconvenient about Canada. People don't usually drive 80mph bumper to bumper with one hand, changing CDs with the other, like I did most of yesterday, but I'm getting used to it. What are those speed limit signs for if everybody ignores them? ;)

Psst...Don't tell anybody, but I'm starting a new underground railway for US refugees. Let me know when you want a ticket. :)

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Underground railway? I'd rather just hop on my kayak and cross the boarder whenever i want. The Boundary Waters are great for that!

20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll take a raincheck. If they ever elect Sarah Palin or Jeb Bush (or any other Bush) as POTUS, I'll be heading your direction. Vancouver seemed like a nice place when I was there in 1990.