1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wildly Uneven Tire wear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FL_Prius_Driver, Aug 20, 2007.

1. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Had a nail in the front right tire. Took car to tire shop to repair left front tire and rotate/balance all tires. Shop called back saying rear tires were "chewed up" and recommended against rotation. Returned balanced and repaired tires to original position. Decided to see what was going on. Tire shop was correct. Left rear tire had very strange wear on inside of it. Now please note that the "Get Alignment" answer is not much use. Left rear camber is -1.2 deg., right rear is -1.5 deg. Left rear Toe is -0.10 deg. right rear is +0.12 deg. Rear Cross camber is 0.3 deg. Rear Toe is 0.02. The tires are Goodyear Regatta 2 with wear rating of 560 and have 33000 miles. (Note, later versions of the Regatta 2 had wear rating improved to 680.)

Now for the mysterious (to me) part. The severe wear is on only one spot on the inside edge of the tire. The rest of the tire has uneven wear, but to a much lesser degree. The other rear tire has some uneven wear, but nothing close to the bad spot shown. Will be replacing very, very soon, but would like any feedback of what would cause the wear to home into one specific spot.

[attachmentid=10801][attachmentid=10802]

Attached Files:

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ....I'd suggest that maybe your wheel is very out of balance.

3. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 20 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]499534[/snapback]</div>
    How many psi do you carry in them?
    Outside wear is indicative of under pressure. Stiffer sidewall is putting more pressure on the outside edges.

Have they been rotated?

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was in the tire business 25 years ago. Most of the time uneven wear was caused by underinflation or a mechanical problem with the car, but a wear pattern like yours occasionally suggested a defective tire. I'm not saying it's that, but I am suggesting you explore it further with Goodyear.

Was it a Goodyear store? If so, was it an independent dealer or factory store? If it was an independent dealer (most Goodyear stores in my area are), then I would assume they have a Goodyear company representative they can contact. I worked for independents (though not Goodyear), and there was typically a factory rep available for the brands we sold.

Did the shop offer an explanation as to the cause? If they can't provide evidence of underinflation or a mechanical problem, then I would push Goodyear to fully evaluate it for a potential defect.

5. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

Have you ever slammed on your brakes, causing the car to skid? Perhaps that wear spot was due to such an incident....

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do a Google search for "tire cupping causes". It's usually caused by worn/defective suspension parts, or a badly out of balance tire. Since the former is unlikely with a new Prius, I'm going with badly out of balance (or defective) tire.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 21 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]499812[/snapback]</div>
    Where does the OP say that this is a new Prius? His profile says 2001 Prius.

The photos don't look like cupping, since it doesn't go all the way around the tire. I suspect the tire itself.

Tom

8. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Tire psi has been 38 psi, although lately I have increased this to 42/40. Note that the wear is entirely on the inside edge and the tire looks good on the outside. There has been no rotation of these tire since a flat caused the front tires to be replaced early. There has been no skidding (at least with me driving) and the ABS makes it rather hard to do that.

The tire is definitely out of balance now. Contacting Goodyear may be justified, but it's only a tire and 30k miles is not insignificant. The end result could be Goodyear gives me one good tire....which I really don't want just one good tire. The true focus is to see if there is something really strange with the car that could do this.

In the end I like "voting" with my wallet, like most other Prius owners. Since I will keep a car for 150,000 miles or more, I have proven that wear ratings are key to having 2 sets of high end tires or 6 set of stock/OEM tires. Guess which is cheaper....and generates far less waste.

One last note. When looking at the front and rear tires, the front tires looked really good and symmetrical.
    The real surprise was the wear rating was significantly higher (680) on the front, than the rear tires. (Why the change?) The biggest limitation with the 2001 Prius is the rims are 14 inches so really high end wear ratings (e.g. Michelin Hydroedges) are not made in this size.

Tire psi has been 38 psi, although lately I have increased this to 42/40. Note that the wear is entirely on the inside edge and the tire looks good on the outside. There has been no rotation of these tire since a flat caused the front tires to be replaced early. There has been no skidding (at least with me driving) and the ABS makes it rather hard to do that.

The tire is definitely out of balance now. Contacting Goodyear may be justified, but it's only a tire and 30k miles is not insignificant. The end result could be Goodyear gives me one good tire....which I really don't want just one good tire. The true focus is to see if there is something really strange with the car that could do this.

In the end I like "voting" with my wallet, like most other Prius owners. Since I will keep a car for 150,000 miles or more, I have proven that wear ratings are key to having 2 sets of high end tires or 6 set of stock/OEM tires. Guess which is cheaper....and generates far less waste.

One last note. When looking at the front and rear tires, the front tires looked really good and symmetrical.
    The real surprise was the wear rating was significantly higher (680) on the front, than the rear tires. (Why the change?) The biggest limitation with the 2001 Prius is the rims are 14 inches so really high end wear ratings (e.g. Michelin Hydroedges) are not made in this size.

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another consideration, especially with 30K miles on the tire: Even if Goodyear treats it as a defect, don't expect a free tire. The customary practice is to offer a prorated adjustment based on usable remaining tread depth.

10. justifyd

justifyd New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 21 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]499928[/snapback]</div>
    In that case, I wonder which edge they'll measure for "usable remaining tread depth." :p

I think I know which side they would like to measure...

- Justifyd

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should correct the rear toe-in by shimming the LR wheel. -0.10 is out of spec. The LR wheel is pointed outward slightly instead of pointed inward like the RR wheel is. After shimming the wheel, you may need to get a front alignment, if the previous alignments were done to compensate for the rear toe-in problem.

Contact Galaxee for more info. Her DH can calculate the shim thickness and give you installation instructions. My RR wheel was toed-in too much and I was able to fix it with their help.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 22 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]500449[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks greatlly for the info. The 2001 Service manual does not call this out of spec, but this is because the combined toe is what is specified at 0.1 +/- 0.33 degrees. The shop alignment machine also called this in spec. However, you may have better info than I am using. Let me know since I am listening. A resulting thrust angle of 0.1 degrees does not appear to be causing this very localized problem......but if it is then I do not want to exclude it yet either. I will be posting what I have found out shortly that may be interesting.....for those few who care about strange tire wear.

13. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Here is what a lot of reading has uncovered about the strange tire wear that appears to match the wear I am seeing. First let me point out that bus drivers, truck drivers (who use LOTS of tires), and motorcycle drivers seem to know the most about this specific problem of uneven wear. Quick Summary:

VERY IMPORTANT-It is much more common on undriven tires then the driven tires. (i.e. more common on Prius rear tires.)
    VERY IMPORTANT-It is greatly accelerated by unbalanced tires. Specifically, as the uneven wear starts, it soon accelerates as the tire starts to unbalance to an even greater degree.
    VERY IMPORTANT-If the suspension does not dampen the oscillations (i.e. bad shocks), then the oscillations will be much worse, and the problem will occur often and fast.

NOT SO IMPORTANT-Rotating tires distributes the wear, but does not "prevent" this effect. (Rotating is very important for most other wear mechanisms, so don't misinterpret this statement.)
    NOT SO IMPORTANT-Bad alignment usually causes bad, but even wear.

STRANGE FACT-There is a much higher susceptability to this uneven wear with tires that have an "aggressive" tread design. Aggressive appears to describe deep and jagged tread patterns.

Bottom line is to 1) Keep tires balanced periodically, especially the rear tires, 2) An unbalanced tire's initial sign may be noise prior to the car vibrating, 3) Pay attention to wear ratings. The higher the wear rating the less wear between rotations, 4) Feel your tires (very slowly), just looking failed for me.

[Thanks to priusenvy and others who responded. All replys appreciated.]

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Aug 22 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]500647[/snapback]</div>
    Oops, I assumed that the spec would be the same for classic Prius and 2nd gen Prius. My mistake. I don't have spec for classic Prius, but for the 2nd gen it is 0.30° +/- 0.25° for total toe-in. Note that on 2nd gen, they don't allow for negative toe. On the print out from a Toyota dealer, they give the individual wheel spec as 0.03° to 0.28° See printout in this post

However, even though it may technically be in spec, I would still try to fix it. Ideally, you should have the same toe-in on each wheel so the thrust angle should be 0. You have both wheels pointed toward the left; the left wheel has negative toe-in (its pointed outward) and the right wheel has positive toe-in (its pointed inward). Your right wheel is good (0.12 vs. 0.10 ideal) so you could shim your left wheel to match the right and reduce the thrust angle.

The alignment may not be the only cause, but it seems like it could be at least a contributing factor.

15. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Be honest, how often were those tires rotated ?
    How many miles are on the car?

Combine a poor quality tire and lack of regular rotation and you can get something like that. As they wear, the balance is affected, and the wear problems are worsened.

Get some new quality tires, and an alignment. New shocks if your car is over 80-90K.
    Problem solved.