1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will 215/45/18 tires fit without rubbing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Glen Marr, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Glen Marr

Glen Marr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have some 18x8 Motegi SP10's coming in the mail and I need to figure out what to fit on them. I originally wanted 18x7 wheels to run 205/40/18's but the price was right on the Motegi's.

Upon informing a friend of mine of my recent wheels purchase he offered me a FREE set of 215/45/18's with 50% tread left. They're Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S's, which are the stock tires on his Volvo C30. I would love to give it a try since they're free. I know it would throw my speedo off a bit and I don't care about that, but I'm worried about rubbing. A 215/45/18 is 1.17 inches taller than my stock touring tires. I'm also going to be installing B&G springs that will drop the car 1" front and back. Unless I can find some evidence that these tires won't rub, I think I'm going to have to decline the free tires and buy new tires in a slightly lower profile. I know 215/40 should fit okay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Glen

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What is the offset of your wheels? I ran: 215/35R19 on 19x7.5 with a 42m offset with no rubbing and I was lowered...but I also had my fenders rolled. Check out the link in my signature.

3. Glen Marr

Glen Marr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome car! Noticed you mentioned having coilovers in one of your posts. Were coilovers and rolling the fenders necessary to run your wheels without rubbing? Your wheels are about 0.5 inches taller than a stock touring tire whereas I'd be running 1.17 inches taller with a 215/45/18. The wheels I'm getting have a 40mm offset. I'd hate to get these tires mounted, balanced, and installed only to find out I've cut my turning radius in half and have to watch out for every small bump in the road. It would save me about $600 if it worked out though.

Thanks,
    Glen