1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will a 35mm offset wheel work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by treehggr, Jun 12, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey everyone,

I'm shopping for some lightweight 15in wheels for my car. Which brings me to the question is there anyway a +35mm offset wheel will work? It seems every wheel I find that I like is +35mm. I know I should be around +45mm but I may be out of options.

Does anyone have any ideas for some lightweight wheels? I plan on using the stock Goodyear's.

Thanks

2. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone know a formula or anything to assist me in finding this out? I really do not know too much about wheels and offset and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again, Brandon

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

I think you'll be fine with the slightly wider footprint. Unless you're changing the car's weight, it's pretty much going to sit the same way.

Your combined offset is only spreading your footprint by 20mm. Considering your 42/40 tire pressure makes a narrower contact patch, your contact patch with 35mm offset will have an outside edge that is pretty much identical to the OEM wheels at stock tire pressure.

Aside from that, I'm not sure it makes much difference. I just changed out our '05 to 16x7's with a 40mm offset, and put on wide 205/55 tires. Parked next to the '06 with stock wheels & tires, it's got a noticeably wider stance and contact patch... but where you've got a 20mm combined outward bump, I've got 36 out plus 16 in. My first impression is that handling has improved and alignment doesn't seem to be a noticeable problem.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd never change the wheel offset on the front, especially on a front-wheel-drive car.

It's got nothing to do with "stance". :rolleyes:

It's got everything to do with maintaining the same steering roll radius (aka scrub radius) as the car had when it left the factory (typically a small amount of negative steering roll radius).

Change the amount of roll radius (esp. from negative to positive) from the original factory specs. and you can find your handling under heavy braking has changed quite a bit.

Here is a picture showing a small amount of positive steering roll radius (atypical):

[​IMG]

Wheel bearings can wear in interesting ways (sometimes catastrophically) if you're one of those idiots who desperately wants that open-wheel racer look and goes for huge amounts of negative offset.

6. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well I appreciate the help guys. I think I decided on a set that are 15x6.5 5x100 +40 instead of the +35. I think a +40 offset and 6.5 width will be very comparable to the stock setup (I hope). I should be able to use the stock tires too I think.

My whole goal for this project is to improve my gas mileage with lighter wheels. With the ones I have chosen I will be saving between 2.5-3 lbs per wheel. That should make a difference I think.

7. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok well I just found out that the wheels I want are going to take 3-5+ months for shipment. So I was thinking about trying to fit some Motegi Tracklites 15x6.5 5x100 +35. I think my stock tires will still work too.

Anyone have any ideas? I now realize it is extremely hard to find good rims for the prius. :unsure:

8. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Man, those Motegi's look sweet! B) Nice to find a 10-lb wheel for under $220, too. :)

The stock Integrity's will work on a 6.5" rim, but that's their rated max -- Goodyear actually lists 5.5" as their measured width. Given the heavy front end of the Prius, I'd be worried. If I inflated to high pressure, I might blow off the rim on a hard cornering turn; if I kept pressure low, I might get a weak contact on the center tread. Given the load rating on these tires is only 1168 @ 44 PSI (which means less load at lower pressures), I already worry about exceeding load on, say, hard-braking in an evasive maneuver with a loaded car.

For integrity's, you may want to consider the P205/70R15: rim width is good to 7", measured is 6", and with a tread width of 6.1" vs the stock 6.4" your mileage might even go up.

An even better match might be the 215/70R15: measured on your 6.5" rim, same 6.4" tread width, and with the highest load rating of the bunch.

9. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

10. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Hmm, interesting point: I'm a bit surprised Tirerack would recommend 185/65-15 on a 6.5"... but it is in the range.

It might not save that much money to keep the stock tires - if you find rims and tires at the same place they will probably mount & balance free, and then you could re-sell the stock set intact.

If you're really into saving weight, ditching the tire pressure sensor would help a little -- it weighs an ounce or so, requires a (heavier) metal valve stem, and must be counter-balanced... so you're adding up to 4 ounces per wheel to keep the TPM sensors. Keeping them will also cost you the $100 or so to have your tires unmounted, recover the sensors and move them to your new wheels, and re-mount.

Then there's also the issue of whether the TPM sensors will work ok in the new rims. I've seen a couple posts about Prius requiring a certain angle or something.

11. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jun 17 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]463436[/snapback]</div>
    So if I did not reinstall the TPM sensors will the car throw a check TPM light or something? I'm not too fimiliar with them to be honest with you. What has everyone else been doing? Reinstalling them?

12. kaephiana

kaephiana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just found a set of snow tires on Subaru wheels (5x100) but the offset is 55mm ... will this work with a Gen II Prius?

13. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    its a strut FE not a king pin FE
    in any event similar equipment on Gen3 sees 17" wheels with 50mm offset vs the 15x6" rims with a 45mm offset, and my Gen2 spare is 125/70/17, which creates a situation where there are a range of offsets not a constant dimension or a single acceptable figure.