1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will a HV battery with replaced cells balance on its own?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jarrod m, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jarrod m

Jarrod m Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We maybe did a stupid thing. My boyfriend bought a 2007 prius with 198,000 miles on it for $3,000. They did just finish putting a new transmission in it and it does start and drive, however the red triangle of death is on and the fault codes are P3012 and P0A80. The dealer told us that they put a two new cells in the battery and didn't balance it, but that it would balance on its own and the triangle would go out on its own in a day or two. I believed them at the time having not read up on this. Is there any truth to this? We are taking it back tomorrow to have the steering column aligned. I'm worried they're trying to screw us on this.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no truth to that, and you should return the lemon for a full refund, get a partial refund and live with the problem and repair expense, or just plan on fixing/balancing the battery on the 3k vehicle you've purchased. If you trust them (unsure given the above), you might let them keep the vehicle for a day or two, so that they can fix/repair and balance the HV battery.

Did you get a carfax, or check the mileage and history by running the VIN at http://toyota.com/owners ?

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you put the car in drive with foot on brake and emergency brake on and floor the gas pedal you can force charge the battery and perhaps if you did that 4 or 5 times with taking an hour or two break or even a day long break in between you might be able to get it balanced enough to keep the Red Triangle away for a little while.

But the problem is that when you replace battery modules they need to closely match the ones in the existing pack. There's several things you can do to achieve this but they're more time consuming and costly then what I described above. If you like to work on cars I can walk you through it all, but if you need a mechanic to help in your region we could probably find one on here for you.

4. Jarrod m

Jarrod m Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks guys. They apologized today and are keeping the car overnight. Said they were gonna balance it. I'll let you know what happens.

5. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I read that the hybrid battery modules can balance themselves, but that was only on an ebay ad that was selling battery modules…

My guess is that they do not balance themselves or else people would not be buying battery balancer/reconditioners for that purpose.

6. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By the way, does anybody know where I can find a balancer/re-conditioner to borrow in the LA area? I live in Ventura, California.