1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will a magnet affect the fob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JimboK, Jun 29, 2006.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone know whether the fob (where did that name from, BTW?) has any components that might be affected by a low strength magnet, like that in my money clip? I've tried to keep them in separate pockets, but I'm afraid I'll get a little careless if I'm in a hurry (like I've done with credit cards in the past).

Thanks in advance.

Jim

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Very good question... wish i had a good answer for you. i would think taht momentary exposure (a couple of minutes or so) wouldn't be a problem, however long time exposure (days in the same pocket, for example), can cause damage to certain types of electronics (such as latching)... without knowing exactly what they put into the fob and what type of protection they built into it, i can't tell you for sure if it'll be bad or not.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A common magnet will not hurt the sks key fob. Very strong magnetic fields can induce voltages that could be damaging, but you're not talking about that much strength.

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jun 29 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]278711[/snapback]</div>
    Fob is a small pocket used to store valuables. The name is probably of German origin. Pocket watches were stored in fobs, at some point attached to the pocket with a chain. Eventually the chain and item became known as the fob.

Tom

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It won't hurt the fob, but it might cause it to not respond when you're approaching the car and expecting the car to automatically unlock when you reach for the handle. The same holds true for cell phones. Here's what I read about it:

From the 2006 Manual, Page 25:

In the following cases, the smart function or wireless remote control feature may not operate properly. (If this happens, use a mechanical key to lock or unlock the driver's door and a smart key to start the hybrid system.)

*When facilities issuing strong electromagnetic waves such as TV towers, electric power stations, broadcasting stations are nearby.

*When you are carrying a smart key together with a mobile communications system such as a two-way radio or cellular phone.

*When the smart key is in contact with or covered by a metallic object.

*When another person is operating a wireless remote control function on another vehicle near your vehicle.

And on the same page, in a yellow "Caution" box:

People with implanted pacemakers or cardiac defibrillators should keep away from the smart entry and start system antennas, because the radio waves may affect the operation of such devices. For the antenna locations, see "ANTENNA LOCATIONS" on page 26.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 29 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]278749[/snapback]</div>
    I particularly like this phrasing, from the online Oxford English Dictionary:
    FOB
    [of unknown origin; cf. HG. dial. fuppe pocket, fuppen, einfuppen to pocket stealthily; a Ger. word fupsack is cited by Skinner.
    If the word meant originally a secret pocket, it may be connected with FOB v.]
    1. A small pocket formerly made in the waistband of the breeches and used for carrying a watch, money, or other valuables.
    b. nonce-use. The contents of the fob
    and
    [Of obscure origin. Cf. FOB v.1
    Can it be a corruption of OF. forbe (mod. fourbe) masc. rogue, fem. cunning trick? But this suggestion does not explain the apparent connexion of fob n. and v. with fop n. and v., and Ger. foppen.]

:D

6. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

I expect the FOB/cellphone problem comes from the fact that the FOB is 'polled' by the car every few hundred milliseconds. If there is a strong radio transmitter close to the FOB, it can't 'hear' the poll. It should not take more than a few inches separation to resolve the problem. Also, I doubt that any small magnet will have any deleterious effects. In most modern electronic devices, the magnetic field must be changing to cause a problem.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have two of these now, both in the same pocket (one for the Prius, one for the HyCam) and I hope they don't screw each other up. I would really rather not have one in one pocket, and the other in another pocket.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David H. Hawkins @ Jul 1 2006, 12:51 AM) [snapback]279539[/snapback]</div>
    There are only two ways that a permanent magnet could interfere with the fob: 1) if the magnet is made of metal and acts as a shield to the RF from the fob. This would be true for any metal, not just a magnet; or 2) if the SKS circuit uses iron inductors that could be saturated by the magnetic field. Small RF circuits almost never use iron inductors or transformers (usually air core), and even if they did, it takes a pretty good field to saturate them.

Tom

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I hang my fob's (both the 2k3 and 2k4) on a strong magnetic hook on my tool box at work so as to not damage them in my pocket when I'm working. Been doing that for a couple of years now with no ill effects.

10. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have same the same combo and after 7 months, no problems.

Ted

11. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I often carry my fob in the fob pocket of my jeans, and that means it rests directly behind my blackberry/cell phone, which itself is in a belt-clip case that contains a magnet (to put the blackberry to sleep when inserted in the case). I have had no problems with the SKS system when doing that.

rpm