1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will CARB decision affect the future of ALL Prius aftermarket plug-ins?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by ScubaGypsy, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    3ProngPower appears to be singled out for ramifications of potential January 22-23 2009 decisions by CARB with respect to offering aftermarket plug-in systems. Obviously these same decisions will affect others such as A123 Systems Hymotion products. However since 3ProngPower is located in CA while A123 is in MA, perhaps this won't make a difference for Hymotion plug-ins? There are 3 listed Hymotion installers in CA so perhaps only these folks will be similarly affected?

I'm curious of any insights that others might have with respect to the national influence of CARB and how, or if, their decisions might affect the Hymotion products.

2. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Only in f*cking, California! :mad:

This is why it's no surprise that the state government (which has passed so many costly laws that have sapped the life out of our economy) is currently over $40 Billion in debt and unable to pass a "balanced" budget and may have to issue IOUs for tax refunds and pay checks.

Now CARB wants to pass more ridiculous and expensive regulations that will probably put the nascent plug-in retrofit industry out of business in this state, despite the negligible effect on air quality that retrofit kits may cause (given how few people will actually pay for & install the retrofit kits), and give the advantage to the Big Auto companies again, who can afford the stupid testing requirements that CARB is proposing. Nonsense!!!

CA government is totally broken . . . hopefully common sense will win out, but I'm not optimist about that. :(

If you turn the plug-in system off, I assume it will continue to run like a regular Prius and will pass any CA emissions tests. So, if CARB adopts these stupid proposed regs, the question for us here in CA, who still want to convert to plug-in, is whether we can get the work done in a nearby state instead.

I trust that we can and that's where I'll be heading to get mine done, if need be.

3. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's difficult to understand the thinking behind this. Last night PBS NOVA had a wonderful program on called The Big Energy Gamble that highlighted the efforts CA is pursuing to build a green economy. From this program it appears that CA is leading the way but decisions like this makes one wonder.