1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Christian Evangelists forego promising treatment derived from embryonic stem cell research?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Aug 27, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll bet they won't. In fact, they'll probably clamoring to be first in line if/when FDA approval come through.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20070827/hl_hs...epairhumanheart

Promising prospects. Thanks for all those who have helped delay this potentially life saving/prolonging scientific research. Sheesh.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sam Harris had a great arguement against christian fundamentalists regarding this matter. From a scientific and rational perspective the arguement against stem cell research is as rediculous as believing disease and sickness is induced by malevolent spirits. lol

This is but a short wiki quote of what was in the book "The End of Faith"

On stem-cell research
    Our present policy on human stem cells has been shaped by beliefs that are divorced from every reasonable intuition we might form about the possible experience of living systems.

The point at which we fully acquire our humanity, and our capacity to suffer, remains an open question . . .
    . . . but anyone who would dogmatically insist that these traits must arise coincident with the moment of conception has nothing to contribute, apart from his ignorance, to this debate.

Those opposed to therapeutic stem-cell research on religious grounds constitute the biological and ethical equivalent of a flat-earth society.

In this area of public policy alone, the accommodations that we have made to faith will do nothing but enshrine a perfect immensity of human suffering for decades to come.

The moral truth here is obvious: anyone who feels that the interests of a blastocyst just might supercede the interests of a child with a spinal cord injury has had his moral sense blinded by religious metaphysics.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

The only thing stronger than an evangelist's faith is their hypocrisy.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice bated title.! :rolleyes:
    No where in the article does it state anything about religion...

Hmmm, has someone not been taking their meds again? <_< :lol: :lol:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    at least some faiths seem to see suffering as character-building and good in the eyes of their god. my mom is proud to suffer with her disease... i'm 100% baffled but it's her choice after all.

6. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 27 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]502679[/snapback]</div>
    Oh look... Burrito's has started another "I hate religion" thread.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not disagreeing with you, Burritos. However, as a Fundamentalist Agnostic ("I don't know and you don't, either), I'm just saying that to people who don't subscribe to your worldview, Evangelical Atheists are just as annoying as Evangelical Christians.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 27 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]502731[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: that's the best quote i've read in a long time

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 27 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]502731[/snapback]</div>

The problem is that it's not the atheists that are in charge of the country or hold such momumental sway. So as a former agnostic turned atheist, I say the balance of power is too heavily piled up in the corner of the christians and as such atheists MUST push back or else succumb to the will of someone elses worldview. Trust me when I say I struggled to become more vocal about my anti-religion because I usually try to avoid conflicts but the more I learned the more I came to abhor religion. Isn't that what happens to most people when they become more educated in facts and science? lol

So while Burritos may seem antogonistic, he is simply more visible than many of the hidden agendas pushed by christians all over the country. I'll head of to work now and end with this other great quote:

"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power." ~ Sam Harris

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 27 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]502731[/snapback]</div>
    Just because "we don't know," does that mean we should accommodate the view that a 100 celled embryo should continued to be protected from "victimization" of scientific research? Research that will likely save many many lives?

Just because a topic is annoying, should it be ignored ad infinitum at the cost of scientific progress?

Having been annoyed by evangelical christians for the last 8 years, why can't they receive a little of what they've doled out? Is that a new commandment that was added recently while I was on vacation? "If thou dost dish out evangelical christiandom, you are forever free of any verbal or actionable reprisals cause what thou has dished out is holy and pure and has never ever caused any ill effects to your fellow man. And if it did cause ill effects to your fellow man, they deserved it."

11. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Burritos, F8L, you and I are about as militantly anti-religious as extreme fundamentalists are militantly evangelical. But we would do well to heed this latest missive from Michael Shermer, his
    Open Letter to Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris & Dennett, published in the latest Scientific American.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Aug 27 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]502765[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Bookmarked it. Good read.

So what do we do when religion infringes upon scientifically relevant public policies? Like delaying OTC contraception despite scientific consensus to do so? Or discounting scientific evidence of global warming because it might affect your rich political/religious industrial friends? Or introducing mid-evil pseudo science into public schools?

13. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 27 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]502731[/snapback]</div>
    Yes indeedy, as the tens of millions of my bible belt evangelical Christian friends were recently limiting my own family's reproductive options, denying my gay friends their desires to form families, and reducing potential cures for my future ailments, I caught myself thinking...............wow.............this is exactly no more and no less annoying than Fred, my evangelical atheist colleage who sometimes interrupts my lunch to rant.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Count me in with the confirmed atheists. Shermer, as usual, makes some thoughtful and relevant points. Now I need to reconcile this latest article with his earlier statement that 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.'

15. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    um...I thought this was a Toyota Prius site??? :(

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ 2007 Aug 27 11:06 AM) [snapback]502794[/snapback]</div>
    It is, and it isn't. We don't have to talk about cars all the time, do we? This is a forum for the 'off topic' topics.

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mparrish @ Aug 27 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]502787[/snapback]</div>
    this is gonna happen anytime there's an imbalance in power. you think if this country was ruled by atheists there wouldn't be some that go too far and limit some people's freedoms in other ways? there are always some that go too far, no matter what group you're talking about.

again, we're talking about personal decisions of leaders in our country who happen to be motivated by religion. i'm not all for religion, i'm firmly agnostic myself, but let's keep in mind people have free will and can choose what they believe based on whatever they want. it doesn't have to make sense to you. that's freedom for ya, it's a founding principle of our country.

when important scientific advances that can benefit large numbers of people are hindered, i agree, it's time to take action. and in that case, we stand up and fight for the evidence. we educate, we explain so that the lofty and oftentimes scary scientific words translate to what regular people can understand. those of us who are scientifically literate have a duty to those who are not. and those who do not want to understand? it's their choice to live in the dark and addressing them like idiots will only put them on the defensive and make them less open to understanding...

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mparrish @ Aug 27 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]502787[/snapback]</div>
    If preaching to the choir (non-preaching to the non-choir?) is what he wants, fine, let Fred rant away. If he wants to get his message across and actually change things, I don't know, maybe a little tact might help.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "a little tact might help."

I've tried to convince Burritos of that in the past also.
    It's useless. His enjoyment of trolling for overly-defensive christians, overwieghs his desire to "enlighten".
    Then again we get the same lack of tact from our resident neocon posters too.

Fred's HOP, is a self professed rant zone for all.

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 27 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]502822[/snapback]</div>
    No, Fred wants the Evangies to answer the question. Hypothetically, if Alzheimer's or parkinson's is cured on the backs of dead microscopic blastocytes(or human beings in evangie's terms) will they use the cures for themselves or loved ones if they contract Alzheimer's or Parkinson's?