1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Hog Ring Pliers like these work fine on the Prius seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cycledrum, Nov 29, 2009.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering if hog ring pliers like these will work fine on the Prius seat. Is it necessary to have both the straight and the angled pliers?

http://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-3...&utm_term=KDT3702&utm_campaign=googlebase_18u

I bought a $50 electric carving knife and it cuts through foam really well. I'm going to do some shaving of the seat bottom foam myself, after I get the seat bottom cover off.

I don't know of any kitchen knife that will cut through foam, but the action of dual blades with the electric knife goes right through foam.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just used plastic wire ties to put the bottom back together. IIRC, you should be ok with just the straight pair of hogring pliers - you have pretty easy access. You may want to buy some hogrings - I found that it was easier to cut them off than to try to bend them to get them off.

1 person likes this.
  3. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's the set I have, and they've worked fine. I could have gotten along with either pair, but it was nice to have the choice of using the offset pair when that was more convenient. I'm not sure all hog rings are created equal, though. I've read of some folks encountering difficulties when using rings not intended for upholstery.

1 person likes this.
  4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are the ones I used to install my leather upholstery. I felt I could have done fine with just the straight ones, but having both was handy in a couple of places. Use hog rings from an upholstery shop, not from a farm supply. Others had good luck with tie wraps, but I suggest the hog rings. Use a heavy duty wire cutter to cut the existing hog rings.

1 person likes this.