1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

will i be damaging the battery by charging it, let's say, only once a month?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by VD101, Oct 25, 2012.

1. VD101

VD101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its an interesting question. In general Li batteries don't like to be stored either fully charged or fully depleted. The ideal storage charge I've seen reported is around 40%. So one strategy might be after a charge to run the battery down to about half your EV range then switch to HV, and then use the up the second half when you know you'll be charging that day. On the other hand, the PiP doesn't actually let you charge the battery to 100% or discharge it to 0%, so it might not really matter that much. As the battery has a 10 yr / 150,000 mile warranty in CA I'd probably be more on the don't worry about it too much side :)

Will be interesting to see what PiP owners think...

Rob

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual specifically states to discharge the battery to HV level (so fully deplete EV range) for long-term storage. My mom also drives exclusively like this and hasn't had any issues at over 10k miles now.

cwerdna likes this.
  4. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the car will charge and discharge the battery as you drive so there should be no concern at all

5. Dana Sion

Dana Sion New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree the drive battery will charge and discharge when in EV mode and when in HV mode, as far as I know the new plug-in does not have a dedicated EV bank of batteries. If it did then there may be a concern.