1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will I make It up my Driveway?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by robinredbreast, Oct 22, 2004.

1. robinredbreast

robinredbreast New Member

With the Michigan winter months coming I'm afraid I won't be able to get up our driveway with the Prius BC because of the traction control .With our Past other FWD cars even with the drive snowblowed and salted we needed the wheel spin to make it. The drive way is steeper then it looks in the picture . I never had a car with Traction Control before.

Robin

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll be exciting...going down may be even more so!!

3. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 70 foot, nowhere near as long as yours, driveway that hase about a 25 degree incline that starts almost immediately at my garage door, so there's no running room to get started up the driveway. I don't have experience with the Prius yet on the driveway, but I had a VW Jetta that had Traction Control and the Accord we have has it. Even though you could shut the traction control off on the Jetta I never did, and I took it up the driveway with about 6 inches of snow with no problems and once I had shoveled off the driveway it was even easier. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as it doesn't get icy...then it won't matter what you have, unless you have studded tires....(little bit of my native Minnesota experience coming out there) :D

4. robinredbreast

I will tell you a funny short story At the end of the drive that you cannot see is our polebarn When our Propane is delivered by truck our driver is told not to go down the drive to fill the tank .One day their was a new delivery guy who didn't get the message from the Propane company not to go down customers drive. Well he did and had a wild drive down missed the barn by inches The driver was whiter then the snow.

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Probably not... but here's a sure fire fix...

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that's too funny!

7. robinredbreast

Update today we got 8inchs of wet snow and still going .Tried to get up the driveway today got halfway and the traction control would cut on and just make me sit half way up ,with my foot on the gas going nowhere. I don't like the traction control at all. I wonder if better tires would help a little.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a driveway that's ablmost a mile long in the mountains. Completely dirt up to the house. I learned to just punch it all the way up... it's like my own little rally.. although.. i guess you shouldn't do that in snow or ice. :)

9. Silverback

Silverback New Member

I seem to recall that in the days when front-wheel drive cars first started to appear in N. America, the Saab's were renowned as rally cars. Great traction except on steep slippery uphills when the weight shift would take weight off the front wheels. Their solution when the going got really slippery....back up the hill.

Which leads me to another question. Does the traction control work when the car is in reverse?

Bill

10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robinredbreast\";p=\"52616)</div>
    Did you try just feathering the gas so power is only being applied very lightly? Traction control will definately cut in if lots of power is being applied, but it should back off if you're only pressing on the gas lightly and creeping up the hill.

Dave.

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably the same situation as my dirt driveway.. even the lightest power makes it slip.. it's better to try the backwards idea.. or.. get a longer run.. which could be dangerous

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In 1983 I leased a Plymouth Horizon, which was my first front wheel drive car. I can sympathize with the lack of traction going up steep hills in winter.

I've never believed in all-season tires. At best they're "three season" tires. If you can't use studded tires like the Nokian, invest in very sticky dedicated winter tires.

I've had the best luck with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 and Dunlop Graspic DS-1. I've ordered the new Dunlop Graspic DS-2 as the tread appears better.

Just make sure you only use the above mentioned tires in winter when you really have to. Their soft sticky tread wears incredibly fast especially if driven on bare roads above freezing. Also, on bare roads the handling will feel sloppy. Life is a tradeoff.

I can't use studded tires at my condo, as the cement floor to the underground parking is sealed, and they have a prominent sign "No studded tires."

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A quick thought. I have tried the Reverse Gear Up The Hill and for a front wheel drive it DOES work. Unless you start to spin, then the front end goes sideways.

However, the Prius doesn't have a true reverse gear. The electric motor is used to provide reverse. Wouldn't long/hard backing up a steep hill or driveway quickly drain the EV battery and/or overheat the inverter?

14. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't have thought there'd be any more of a problem overheating the inverter than in normal EV mode usage. As to draining the battery, it can run the ICE to recharge the battery, even while the electric motor is driving you in reverse. Clever buggers.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I know what you mean about the car making it halfway up the hill before the traction control cut you off. We've had the first rain/snow mix roll through and the streets are treacherous.

The ABS works as advertised, but taking off again is almost impossible on glare ice. It doesn't matter if you floor it or pretend there is an egg between your foot and the pedal, the VSC icon turns on and the car creeps at less than a walking pace.

I tried parking at a mall yesterday and had to use the second-floor parkade, which is exposed to the elements. You have to make a sharp turn before getting on the ramp so no run is possible.

The ramp was icy and I barely made it 1/3 of the way up before the car just stopped on me. Fortunately, nobody was behind, so I reversed and parked on flat ground what seemed like a mile from the mall entrance.

Geez, I sure hope those Dunlop Graspic DS2 winter tires come in soon!

16. Jeri

Jeri New Member

I'm beginning to wonder about selecting a package with the vehicle stability control. Normally I would avoid driving the car in inclement weather but just in case the weather man is wrong, am I in deep trouble? Thinking of some very steep hills to get over to get home. Would a package without this feature be better?

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeri\";p=\"53206)</div>
    No, you'll still have TRAC control, all packages do.....it's built in mostly to protect the planetary gears from overspinning. VSC is definately a good thing if you have it.

18. allenlux

allenlux Junior Member

For the general good, it needs to be underlined: VSC is a major advance in engineering for safer cars.

There is lots of information around on why VSC (which comes under various labels such as ESC and ESP) is important. See, for example:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/25/pf/autos/w...dex.htm?cnn=yes
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/25/pf/autos/w...s_esc/index.htm

There is no good reason to avoid Priuses with VSC (which is standard in Europe). There are lots of reasons to avoid buying any new car without it.

John Allen

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John:

I agree, I'd much rather have a vehicle with Trac/VSC than without. That was the main reason I was attracted to the Prius, that and the head airbags.

I would also suggest that the outright misleading advertising of the tire companies has confused several generations of drivers, at least here in North America.

"All Season" tire. Such nonsense. At best, they are a "three season" tire. Admittedly, all tires have come a long way over the past 20-30 years, thanks to radial tires and new tread compound technology.

Some countries have mandatory snow tire laws, and after a spate of accidents in Quebec, the Quebec provincial government is mulling the idea of mandatory snow tires too.

I've been sold on snow tires for +20 years and would never do without them again. Studded tires are best on ice if your local laws allow. The best all-around snow tires are the new studless tires, such as the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 and the Dunlop Graspic DS-1 (My favorite) or DS-2.

I delayed ordering the snow tires for my Prius and thanks to nasty weather in Alberta and Saskatchewan, now I'm stuck waiting for them. The Harmony's are ok as far as all-season tires go, but I'm counting the days before I can slap on the Dunlop Graspic DS-2's.

20. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Although having the car very much in control if I should hit a patch of ice is desireable, I am still concerned about being stuck at the bottom of a steep incline with a 18 wheeler bearing down on me! If the car just stops, how do I get out of the way or even better get the car restarted and up the incline?