1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will mudflaps decrease MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Woody, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Woody

Woody New Member

Does anyone know if the dealer installed mudflaps decrease MPG?

2. Dan Gross

Dan Gross New Member

3. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Hi Woody,

I haven't checked Dans link, but if mudflaps (I assume the molded ones) effect mileage....

Intellectually I'd say yes, but practically.... Tuesday I went into the western mountains (big hills) of Maine and on a 200+ trip got 55.4 mpg. Friday I did a similar trip of 180 miles and got 54,x mpg. On a 30 mile pizza run 3 weeks ago we got 64.x mpg. I'd like more mpg but if the mudflaps are ruining my mpg I'd like to know what I'd be getting without them. I live in Maine on a dirt road, the mudflaps are essential. Gauge your need by that. If you're just putting them on for "coolness" I wouldn't bother; if they're needed for mud I wouldn't hesitate, they do make a huge difference.

Practically I don't think they have a measurable influence on mpg. I had that question before installing them and came close to not installing. After installing them I realized that they rode in the wake of the tires. My opinion is that they have no effect at a reasonably high enough speed.

Check Dans link though to get a number of opinions.

4. cdweller0

cdweller0 New Member

I agree. The obvious answer is yes, it will. Probably by a laughable amount too, what with the added weight and wind resistance and flappiness.