1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Prius v Cannibalize Sales of G3 Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by zenMachine, Oct 29, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seems to me this is definitely a possibility. To what extent? Time will tell.

What are your thoughts?

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    short answer: no.

All thanks to Prius v dismal fuel economy.

it is a competition to small SUV/CUV more then anything, and it will get put aside when CX-5 comes out next spring.

3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd say short answer: yes

All thanks to higher seat position (seniors have a hard time getting out of a low seat) and we have a growing population of elderly drivers.

It also has more cargo capacity so you might get some business use (delivery vehicles and tradesmen)

Ironically taxis take advantage of both features (can't control the age of your fares and airport/seaport duty sees a fair amount of luggage in a taxi).

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely not in my case. The regular hatchback is too small for my needs. This may sound strange but the competition for the V for my needs was the Hyundai Elantra Touring and the Honda Fit. I was looking for small wagons that are both fuel and space efficient.

2 people like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, it's difficult to make every size car have the same mileage. aerodynamics, weight and all that. it's hard to predict how a car will sell, but i agree with the above who say most won't move up because of the mpg's. in fact, if the new hycam is as good as reported, it may do as well or better than the v.

7. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    impact, yes, cannibalize, no...

Increase over all sales, yes...

2 people like this.
  8. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In 2006 when I decide was going to replace my 22mpg 1990 Honda Accord, I was looking for a car which had two to three times the fuel efficiency of the Accord OR two time the fuel efficiency with atleat twice the usable cargo are (+30 sq feet). The list at the time was a very very short list: a 2nd gen prius, a 1st gen insight, and a ford escape hybrid. When Honda canned the insight in 2006 - my list got even shorter. I think the Prius V is actually closer to my original specs than the Ford Escape Hybrid. If history was altered so in 2010, I had a choice between a hi mpg hatchback or a slightly lower mpg crossover/wagon - my decision would have been very difficult - because I would have had the curse of choice. However, what really got me to buy a 2010 Prius III was better than normal pricing ( caused by a combination of a bad economy AND the public bashing Toyota got for alleged runaway cars). Strangely enough - I have not found much need for additional cargo capacity on my 2010 Prius. However, predictably - I'm drawn to the Prius V and the Prius concept-c. :)

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with previous 4 posters. Also, with the Prius c hatchback and Prius v wagon, I have to think that the next Gen Prius will go upscale and probably a 4-door sedan or a Tesla's style liftback. I don't think all 3 cars will be wagon/liftback/hatchback.

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Many municipalities currently have Prii in their fleet for lightweight duties. I think the v and its extra cargo space would be more appealing to them. Perhaps to car rental companies too.

Undoubtedly, Prius v as taxi is a no brainer, especially at airports. Given a choice, I think most taxi drivers would prefer it over the G3.

11. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it depends on what the individual is looking for. I replaced a Honda Fit with my Prius 3, I got more front leg room, better gas mileage and more technology, but gave up a bit of cargo space. So it worked great for me. We replaced my wife's CR-V last January, I tried to talk her into a Prius, but it didn't fit her needs, now had the v been available at that time, I think we would have gotten one...

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure Toyota has thought about this.

But the truth is if you are expanding a line of product...or are a huge automaker like Toyota..then to an extent all product are competing against all the other products you offer.

Could there be some 1st time buyers that end up on a Toyota lot intending to buy a Gen 3 Prius and then see and look at a Prius v and decide they like it better? Certainly. Is that cannibalism or simply growth of the product line?

It's really not so much canibalism as it is offering more product for more customers. Really they wouldn't admit it, but I don't think Toyota cares much what they sell you...as long as you are buying and owning a Toyota.

What Toyota wants to do, is potentially grab the customers that really wanted a Hybrid Prius...but go looking at Mazda Mini-Vans because they felt the Prius was too small to meet their needs. Those are the sales they want to cannibalize from competitors.

Toyota plans and IS expanding the Prius as a "family" of automobiles. Therefore if you wish you can wonder...how many "Plug-In-Prius" sales are taking away from "standard" Prius sales and vice-versa? You can wonder how many people that are buying Prius v, "might" of bought a standard Prius if the v wasn't available....Soon you can wonder how many Prius c buyers might of ended up in a regular Prius if Prius c didn't exist.

But the real reality is more choices attract more consumers and buyers and that is what is important to Toyota, and I think good for consumers. I don't think of it as Cannibalism...as much as I think of it as Toyota adding more offerings to the Prius Buffet.

13. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Exactly, if they are buying a Prius, does which model or trim level really matter? I'm actually looking forward to the c!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    personally, it would take an awful lot to make me revert to lower mpg's, but i'm sure to some, the v is an awful lot!

15. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Prius v wagon appeals to those who may have settled on a 4cyl Venza, or a Rav4.
    It will also draw out those who for years have felt the 400h and the Highlander Hybrid was too pricy on tradeoff for its roominess. The Prius v wagon's a great bridge between the two choices for Toyota. In hybrids, right now, it's the Holy Grail for those who want great fuel economy and the roominess of a small SUV!

I'm surprised to see those of you scoffing at 40 MPG in a car with this much comfort and roominess. :confused:

2 people like this.
  16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Some will prefer the Prius and some will prefer the v.

What will be exciting is the sales number will add together on the major lists like cars.com, so the Prius should move up to higher rank in sales of all cars.

Prius was #15 in September and it's often in that place (cars only not SUV, trucks). It's been in top 10 a time or so and hopefully it will be in consistent top 10 in a few years. Tough though because the Camry, Accord, Altima, Fusion and Sonata own the top spots along with Corolla , Civic and Focus.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said Dianne. And people just need to realize 42 MPG for v is only 1.5 gallons more after 400 miles than Prius. That's less than $6.

I don't know if Toyota is even going to update the conventional Rav4. This is the 6th model year and there's no update in sight except for the Rav4EV concept.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's noticeably more room in the front, rear seating and cargo area of the v.

Someone mentioned the room underneath the driver's seat is small for passenger behind. Well, if it's adjusted all the way down, it's a little small, but I think in many cases it will be adjusted up higher, so it shouldn't be an issue for most.

btw, there will be battles and words between the v and Prius owners of which is the best or what not.

For myself, I would not own or drive a 3rd generation Prius. No way. At 6'2", I could drive a v and be just fine.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't own a Rav4 or CR-V or Rogue or any other CUV like that. But, I'll betchya all those do nothing over 25 MPG at the pump if you do any amount of city driving.

Prius v should do 42 MPG at the pump. That's 40% gas savings. Almost cut in half. That's the best MPGs in that size of wagon anywhere on the planet that I know of.