1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will/should Akio Toyoda testify before Congress on Toyota's behalf?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by apriusfan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is a link to an article about Toyota's efforts to repair its brand: Toyota plans to be more open in bid to fix name - Autos- msnbc.com

I personally think that Toyoda should attend and testify on his company's behalf. If he appears to be stonewalling (and declining an invitation to appear is the clearest form of stonewalling), things will only get worse for Toyota.

Just my 2 cents worth.

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He doesn't really have a choice. Especially after he postmoned his trip in the face of congress.

3. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would agree, but I would do so on condition that the members of the congressional investigation committee agree to a briefing and tour of Toyota's Research and Development labs in return. That way a "fair and balanced" assessment of the company's overall position would be obtained.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The upcoming hearings before Congress are not a meeting of equals. Toyota has screwed up and as its CEO, Toyoda has some 'splaining' to do. The various committees do not have to agree to squat in exchange for his testimony. Toyoda needs to be treated with respect and dignity, but he also has to explain how he is going to insure that this doesn't happen again.

He could always blow off the U.S. Congress; but if he does, he could be compelled to testify.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he should testify, but just because he is the head of Toyota. Not because: "Experts say it's vital that Toyoda appear at the Washington hearings to reverse the perception that the company has been slow to recognize and tackle the safety problems that have led it to recall 8.5 million vehicles."

That reasoning in invalid. IMO he can testify and it isn't going to change peoples perceptions in that regard at all.

He needs to be present and testify because he's the head of Toyota. That's the one and only reason imo.

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is he doing as head of Toyota, other than reversing the perception?

7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just don't think it's valid logic to think his personal appearance at hearings would result in changing peoples perception of that issue. If you think or believe Toyota was slow in response his appearance and testimony isn't going to change that perception. I do think it valid he appear simply because he is acting head of the company.

What he would be doing other than reversing that perception, would be representing the company. As acting head of the company it may not be reasonable to believe he can change peoples perceptions of what the company "has done" but it is reasonable to believe he could outline what direction the company will go.

The timeline of events and reaction to those events is simply the timeline. Whether that is presented by Akio Toyoda, Jim Lentz, or any top Toyota official is really inmaterial to me. At some point an appearance will probably need to be made. If he is subpoenaed and doesn't appear it will look like avoidance.

There are two ways (or more) to look at it. One is that you would want the head of Toyota representing Toyota directly, and clearly and concisely. The other is that you might want to insulate the company from direct reproach by overzealous congressmen that might have personal agenda. Also I think you factor in someones communication skills and how he is likely to come off infront of the camera. Toyoda so far imo, has come off as sincere and concerned, but maybe due to a language barrier, he's just not a dynamic, charismatic speaker. If he testifies it's going to become a soundbite and video bit...the question is will it be good or bad?

It's not something I'm going to worry too much about. I'm sure people that get paid much more than I are worrying about this very reality. If I'm evaluating it from Toyota's P.O.V. there are plus'es and minus'es to both his appearing and his not appearing. Much would have to do with the nature of questioning and the tone of the hearing. Call me paranoid, and while I do think it appropriate that Toyoda testify if subpoenaed, my fear would be this is just an attempt to get Toyoda into a situation inwhich he would be uncomfortable, which would result in another round of bad PR. My bet would be that it would be hard as an executive in this situation to make the company look good. ....in other words while I think it appropriate he represent the company clearly during these times, and that might include appearing infront of congress....I also sense a trap. I'm truly glad this isn't my call. It's a tough decision for Toyoda and Toyota. It very well might be, the damned if he does, damned if he doesn't scenario.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    After his on again off again trip to the US, Mr toyoda has cornered himself. If he does not appear before congress, i think all bets are off as to how bad this could get for toyota. Does anyone buy the "they are trying to make travel arrangements for Mr Toyoda?" Is the expedia site down, does he have a more important meeting, no flights available, maybe all the Washing ton DC hotels are full? Toyota needs to be honest or just shut up.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Acting? He is the CEO of the company. I have never heard that he was a temporary CEO. As a CEO, the buck stops with him.

As far as his communicating skills go, if he has some challenges, he better enroll in a crash course to improve them. If he blows off the invitation, it will go downhill from there. NHTSA can be granted an unlimited budget for investigative purposes. And, and, and.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe there could be another snow emergency?

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Snow forecast for DC.

Bob Wilson

12. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He is the head of Toyota, Toyota has not handled the situation as best as they could, and there is some splaining to do Lucy, but hauling him before a bunch of baffons in Congress is dangerous.

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeh, "acting" is valid terminology to apply. It doesn't mean he is temporary or that the buck doesn't stop with him. But I think you can say "acting" head of any company because the truth is that CEO's step down, are removed, and become replaced.

So my terminology is perfectly valid. I never said he was temporary. But due to the nature of business, it is fair to call him current acting head of Toyota. Toyota has had 11 presidents in 72 years of history. Toyoda recently replaced Watanabi as ACTING CEO. It's just terminology, it doesn't mean he's on stage with a cape waiting to exit.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard he was hesitant to come because he was having trouble finding a Black Audi rental car.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    toyota is waiting for the price of a 'coach' ticket to drop on expedia. ;)

16. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As far as I can tell, at this time Toyoda is just under a threat of a
    Congressional subpoena,
    none has actually been issued. (Please
    correct me if I'm wrong.)

This little detail may be important because absent a subpoena, Toyoda
    and Toyota may have some maneuvering room that may allow him to
    meet the conflicting desires of two very different interest groups,
    either of which will squeal like a stuck pig if they aren't satisfied.

As to his appearance before the Congressional media circus/hearing,
    Toyoda faces a classic Morton's Fork, that is, a choice between two
    courses of action, neither of which has a good outcome. He is, as they
    say, caught between a rock and a hard place.

Toyoda will be damned if he goes for subjecting himself personally,
    the Toyota organization, and the Japanese and larger Asian automobile
    industry, to rough handling by the Committee members who believe
    they have an axe to grind. He will damned if he doesn't go by
    "interests" in the US; the rabid media, an unsympathec even hostile
    Congress, Toyota dealers, and Toyota owners. There is no way to
    fully satisfy both groups.

You could say that Toyota the corporation has put Toyoda, the
    corporate leader, in this untenable position by being at least seen as
    being unresponsive, or slow in responding to issues raised by
    consumers and US saftey agencies going back a number of years.
    Somebody high up at Toyota has to go, but it should not be Toyoda
    himself. From the organizational perspective, the unfortunate person
    who is sent has to be expendable, yet be important enough to be seen
    as speaking with full corporate authority. The head of TMC, Toyota USA
    should accompany him.

This approach is not at all that outrageous or unusual. In fact it is done
    all the time. When Congress or the Senate gets all in a lather about
    some policy or practice of some program or element of the Executive
    branch, the President isn't the one who appears. A general, a
    departmental secretary, or an agency head is sent as being the one
    most capable of responding. This leaves room for whatever is said to
    be modified, corrected, or "spun" later on.

Technically, if not practically, this option is still open so long as no
    subpoena has been issued.

Interestingly, even the Toyota representative's choice of motor vehicle
    for getting to and from the hearing is fraught with danger. Remember
    the flap over the Detroit 3's leaders choice of transport for the first
    bail out hearing? The Toyota rep has to use a Toyota product just to
    demonstrate confidence in the corporation and it's products. But which
    one? I would suggest the one that is built in the US with the highest
    ratio of domestically made parts. (Uh oh! That damned CTS throttle
    assembly!) I hope that it is neither an Echo, nor a Tacoma pickup...
    hopefully a big black Lexus. Surely somewhere in the Greater
    Washington metropolitan area there's a limo service with a stretched
    Lexus. :cool: At any rate, I'll bet it won't be a Prius.

It will be very interesting to see how all this this plays out.

1 person likes this.
  17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It will be high drama for sure.

18. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you think Congress or its committees never screw up? Of course he can be compelled to testify, but to what?

It is political theatre, plain and simple. It is not going to solve the problems Toyota obviously has, only diligent examination of the engineering facts will do that.

Neither Toyota nor any other car manufacturer is in the business of deliberately trying to kill people, though from some of the comments written here, one might be excused for concluding otherwise.

19. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota has done nothing that all the other auto companies haven't done, and their recall is only important and a big deal because its really the first major recall they have had to face, mainly because of their Japanese way of doing business. They have finally been called to task, and in Japanese form, they will fix the problem, if left to do it, dishonor and shame is a great motivator in Japanese society. They don't need to be called in front of a bunch of buffoon American politicians who have no idea on anything, and only want to look good to their voters.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    (sigh) hoooe noooo ... poor poor toyota ... what shall they do (wringing hands). They're doomed according to malorn. Sheez, even as the fixes are taking place you can't stop hoping for Toyota's failure (rather than simply have GM beat toyota via quality). Keep your "kill toyota for their quality failure" words soft and sweet. After all ... the Volt may actually / somday come to market ... and who knows how buggy its software will be, eh?