1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will / Should Sen. Obama run in 2008?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by huskers, Oct 22, 2006.

1. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Latest news is that Sen. Obama will decide if he will run for president after the Nov. 7th election. What do you think of him as a candidate among the democrates?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Yeah, he all but announced it on Meet the Press this morning. I think he'll be an awesome President! :)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think he'll run.
    Whether he "should" or not is a tough question. Ideally he could use some more D.C. experience. A full 6 years as a senator isn't a bad idea. But he's a HOT commodity now. There's no dirt, he's clearly a brilliant man and a born leader. He's well spoken and seems to be able to explain complicated things so that everyone can understand while still not talking down to those who do have a deeper understanding.

Despite all the Hillary talk, I just don't think she's electable. And who else are we going to put forward? Some obscure governor who's main advantage is executive experience and no known dirt?

I think there's risk in Obama running. It he loses it could be then end of any chance for him to become president ever. OTOH, there's unlikely to be a better time for him to run. No incumbent opponent, no clear forerunner from the Republicans, the Republicans are pretty much universally mistrusted or seen unfavorably. I think he's seen as someone who could take the office and make it respectable again.

I'd send him a check the day he announces.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2006, 12:45 PM) [snapback]336478[/snapback]</div>
    George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter were governors before their elections as presidents. Clinton and Carter would certainly have qualified as "obscure governors" prior to their ascendancy to the presidency.

I recently attended a function where Evan Bayh spoke. He was a governor, is a senator and he is very impressive in person.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I think we may see a Clinton/Obama ticket.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]336478[/snapback]</div>
    Well put doc. I think you are right on the money.

Tom

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]336478[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. The day he became Senator, I told my wife, "it's a shame I can't vote for him presidentially for another twelve years." That line of reasoning was both for experience and aligning the end of the senatorial term and presidential term. I would also like to see him with more than four years of D.C. experience but at the same time I recognize that he's currently not Beltway entrenched.

My wife and I watched him on Oprah that past week. He's funny and down-to-Earth. He says that he has banned all corporate and private jet trips and flies exclusively commercial. He sits on the Tri-State Tollway going into and out of ORD just like I do. He goes through security just like I do. He had a kid spill orange juice on his shoes (I haven't yet). And he told the story of when he called home to tell his wife about a nuclear proliferation bill that he was helping to write. His wife simply told him to stop at the Walgreens on the way home from the airport and get ant traps because she saw ants in the house.

I think everyone's right: this is his best chance. Also from Oprah, she got him to agree that when/if he decides to run he will announce it on her show.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If he runs I'm voting for him.

9. Wetnabber

Wetnabber New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 22 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]336526[/snapback]</div>
    I think we'll see Bill Clinton for President, Hillary for VP and see Martha Stewart appointed Attorney General.

10. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I saw Barack Obama on Charlie Rose this Friday. He seems like a fairly well spoken, thoughtful person. One of his characteristics seems to be that he tries too hard to appear dramatic, as if he's "The Great Orator" or something. I agree with some of the opinions he has (such as how the two major parties have been taken over by extremists), but I wonder how much of that is just him trying to appeal to as many people as possible...after all, he is a politician.

One of the things that annoy and worry me is that the Democrats have jumped all over this guy as if he's the answer to everything that ills the world. That makes me think that perhaps he really is too good to be true. I'll withhold judgement until I learn more about him, but at this point I am skeptical.

Strategy-wise, here's what I think about him running:

1. If John McCain or Rudy Giuliani runs for the Republicans (as I expect they will) then I don't think Clinton would run. I don't think she can defeat either of them because she's too polarizing, while they seem to appeal to people on both sides of the aisle. In that case, I think the Dems might possibly let Obama run in kind of a what-the-hell-let's-see-what-he-can-do strategy. I believe McCain or Giuliani would still win, but it would be an interesting race. If Obama lost, though, it might damage his chances in a future election (people rarely elect someone who already ran and lost). His lack of experience in leadership roles is going to hurt him, no matter what.

2. If the Republicans put up someone like Newt Gingrich, I think Clinton would mop the floor with him. I don't think most people think of Gingrich fondly (I know I don't). But Clinton needs to become more moderate, not just try to appear moderate. As an Independent I am NOT interested in voting for anyone with a totally left wing agenda...no thanks. On the other hand, it's about time for a strong female Executive. Can she change her colors? I kind of doubt it, but let's see who she can get to endorse her. As far as Obama in this scenario, I'm guessing that the Democrats would let him decide if he wants to run, but he would be much better off getting more experience before making his Presidential bid. Or maybe he can be the VP? Hmm, a woman and a black? I'm guessing the electorate wouldn't be ready for that, but who knows?

Frankly, I'm hoping that somebody who I can get excited about comes out of nowhere as a third party candidate. I'm tired of Democrats and Republicans...they've become caricatures of political parties. <_<

Vince

11. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just a couple of thoughts....

Bush has shown us that it doesn't take a long background of distinguished service or membership in Mensa to become president. Compared to Bush, Obama looks like Churchill.

What does worry me though is his toughness. Will he be able to stand his trial by fire? Kerry, a certified war hero, and McCain, who walked through the gates of hell, were unable to withstand the gauntlet set up by Rove and company. McCain still feels it necessary to kiss up to Bush on a fairly regular basis, to his shame.

Obama seems a little like a babe in the woods here. When his wife, children, parents, friends and he, himself, are confronted with a wall of hatred, contempt and abuse, which surely will happen, is he tough enough to endure? Dean did a rebel yell and was crucified for it, dropping out. And he's a tough dude. Mondale seemed to have tears in his eyes a few elections ago and was purged overnight.

Don't think too rationally about this election. It's the hate process we have to face and overcome. All the good experience in the world isn't going to help here. A backbone of titanium and an eye for the kill will be essential.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 23 2006, 01:22 AM) [snapback]336647[/snapback]</div>
    Why would he make a good President? What experience does he have? Two years in the Senate - name one thing he has accomplished and everyone wants to put him in charge of a $13 trillion economy, 300 million people and a war on terror - cool. I would posit than anyone voting for him is voting ideology over substance at this point. The Dems have much better candidates WITH experience who could lead this country. It shows everyone how desparate the dems are becoming or how out of touch they are with their current picks that they need someone who has not been around long enough to blemish himself in the eyes of the voters.

BTW - how many presidents were former senators? How many were former governors? Do you think there are reasons for the disparity?

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]336692[/snapback]</div>
    That's certainly one way to look at it. The other way is to look at the individual...does being in politics a long time truely prepare you better for being president? I have my doubts that it does much to make one a better president...it probably does prepare one to be a better politician....I think most of us think that is a bad thing.

But, that said, I think experience is helpful as is the time it takes to make friends in gov't. And, as I said, I'd like to see Obama with a little more Washington experience, ideally, before he runs. But I think he has the intelligence, the diplomatic skills, and the idealism to be a fantastic president, experienced or not.

I don't know what that's supposed to prove...other than maybe we're more likely to elect a govenor than a senator...I think it's pretty clear that there have been good ex-presidents that were govenors and bad ex-presidents that were govenors. Our last Senator elected president.....JFK....maybe we should think about that.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 23 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]336692[/snapback]</div>
    Do you really think there are Democrats who could lead this country? Name one Democrat you would vote for for pres? I think you would find plenty of fault with any Democratic candidate.

(Of course, I agree with the Republicans when they talk about Democrats. just as I agree with the Democrats when they talk about Republicans. -- And I don't think the Dems will nominate Obama. He is not crooked enough to get a major-party nomination, and there's plenty of racism still in the D party.)

If the Dems do nominate Obama, I think he should pick Hillary as his VP. I can't think of much better insurance against assassination.

15. prez1

prez1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 22 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]336526[/snapback]</div>
    Or an Obama/Clinton ticket.
    In which case, Obama should watch his back and get a food taster.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 23 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]336694[/snapback]</div>
    Would you make a second year employee who graduated Harvard and Wharton CEO of GE? Obviously not. Same should be true of being President. And you need to be a good politician to be a good president - thats what everyone here keeps telling me - and i agree. And who really knows this guy - its all facade right now.

I believe only 3 presidents were former senators. This is because they tend to do nothing in office, have no experience running a State/Country, blend into the darkness only to come out every 6 years. Governors through running a State learn the complexities of running a government and are better suited at it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 23 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]336719[/snapback]</div>
    U r 2 funny. I heard that when clinton was president he ordered the secret service to shoor hilary if he ever got shot - and he told them to tell her so :D

I would vote for Lieberman in a heartbeat. Excellent man.

17. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 23 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]336719[/snapback]</div>
    I would strongly advise Republicans to avoid this kind of comparison rhetoric. I haven't been too impressed with many Republicans, least of which is the one they've elected to the highest office. And I'm sure Clinton can govern extremely well, if she wants to. She certainly has the experience that Bush still doesn't have in the Oval Office (you know, compromising and stuff?), and she's a strong enough woman for the job. The question would be whether she's willing to compromise the fantasy world philosophy that the Democrats have created by their very platform. With as little experience as Obama has, I'd be very hesitant to vote for him. But I have every confidence that he can't be worse than Herr Bush.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 23 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]336719[/snapback]</div>
    I don't agree with either side when they talk about the other side...they're so prone to hyperbole and BS. And I agree that the Dems are unlikely to nominate Obama, but not because "he's not crooked enough", more like because they just almost certainly can't win with him, at least right now. And there is a helluva lot less racism in the Democratic Party than the Republican Party...I'm surprised someone would even say this.

Vince

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 23 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]336742[/snapback]</div>
    Hillary would be a Repub gift with a negative rating in the mid 40's - and I do not think she could govern well. And I wonder about her experience in the oval office :D The Dems are full of racism and anti-Semitism - check out the daily kos one day and see what goes on there.

I think at this point the Repubs have the two or three best candidates for '08 - a guilliani/mccain ticket would be hard to beat - a pro-choice republican would be devastating to the Dems.

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Call me cynical, but I think Obama's lack of experience is actually a good thing, especially if we get a large turnover in the Senate. It would give them a chance to reform the way things are done - to throw out the corruption that is so entrenched now. I may not get this story exactly right but Scarborough talks about how when he came to the Senate, a lobbyist came to him with a request and a ton of money, and he told him that he had no intention of granting the request, but the lobbyist left the money anyway. When Scarborough didn't go through (as he said he wouldn't), the lobbyist was really mad. IOW, it was just expected that by donating a ton of money, you could buy favors from Senators. Scarborough was told that "this is the way things are done", and was shocked by the experience. There needs to be serious reform.

20. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thank everyone for their opinions. It made me think about this is ways I hadn't before.

My take on what this country needs is someone who has the "abilities" to lead. Barack Obama has the ability to lead. To NOT give us the party line but what is in the best interest of this country. He may be a politician but not like those older ones currently in office. To be a communicator. Barack Obama knows how to effectively use the English language unlike the current president. To NOT be part of the belt line establishment. That may be Barack Obama biggest asset.

In those regards then I believe Barack Obama IS someone to truly consider.

I would vote for him if he ran.