1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Smart key (fob) battery drain if it is left next or close to car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wadood, Apr 1, 2009.

1. wadood

wadood New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My question is that will Smart key (fob) battery drain if it is left inside, next or close to car? I'm a new Prius user.

I park the car in my garage and usually leave my briefcase inside the car. The key is in my briefcase. Someone said that this will drain my remote battery as car will be continously communicating with the key.

Is it a bad idea in this case to leave the key in the car overnight?

My second option is to take the key from the briefcase and hang it to a keyholder in the garage which is only about 2 feet away from the car. Would the car be still communicating with key?

Thanks.

2. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think it's 'possible'....but not confirmed.
    This is because whenever I get close (3ft close) to the car, my fob has a blinking red light up. So I think this is saying it got signal from the car.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just hang it at a distance a little further away so the interior lights do not come on.

Mine never leaves my belt loop holder!!!
    If I lose mine, it's cause I lost my pants!!!

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I remember correctly, the Owner's Manual recommends keeping the fob at least 15 feet from the car when not being used. It will drain the 12v battery as the car will keep pinging the fob.

Leslie Best likes this.
  5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When in range the fob responds to frequent transmissions from the car. This wears down the fob battery and the 12V battery in the car. Toyota recommends storing the fob away from the car.

The newer Prius will automatically disable the SKS after a period of time if the fob is left in range. It does this to protect the 12V battery.

Tom

Leslie Best likes this.