1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the 2011 model be significantly cheaper than the 2012 model?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by VicVicVic, Jan 29, 2012.

1. VicVicVic

VicVicVic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope you're well.

I'm planning to purchase my first car, and am split between the 3rd gen 2011 Prius and the 3rd gen 2012 Prius. If I am buying a Prius brand new, will there be a significant price difference between the two? I'm thinking once the newer model comes out, the previous model's price will drop. Am I correct in thinking this?

Additionally, would it be worth the extra money to get the 3rd gen 2012 Prius?

Thank you,
    Vic

2. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please look here and it should answer your questions.
    In my case the dealer gave me a very good deal on the 2012 so it made more sense to go with 2012.
    Bur currently your similarly priced(MSRP) 2011 Prius II or III should be AT LEAST $1000 cheaper. The upper trim levels like IV and V should be even more cheaper.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2011 Prius Two sticker price a little over $24k. You could probably find one from $21k to $22k.

2012 Prius Two sticker almost $25k. You may have a tough time getting it for under $24k, but not sure.

Three is more complicated because there is 2011 'plain' Three or Three w/nav, and 2012 Three comes with nav, and its sticker price is less than 2011 Three w/ nav.

Take you time and decide which options you want.

3 door Smart key is a bonus, nav built in is nice, bluetooth handsfree, USB port, '12 Three gets all that.

2012 Two gets USB and bluetooth

2012 Four is pretty hot, all the above, plus high end audio, autodimming rearview mirror, power Softex driver's seat (leather like).

2011 Two is fairly stripped down. Doesn't even come with bluetooth handsfree phone. You can add it, but the in car system works pretty well. The voice recognition is pretty good. Can't imagine not having bluetooth in car for calls. But, don't get distracted while driving!

ps - I can tell you of a dealer that has 3-day/250 mile, no questions asked return policy on new car sales, and 7 day/1k mile upgrade to another car policy. I only know of one dealer that has that. Most dealer ... you drive it home, it's yours forever, no returns. In that case you ought to be a multiple, long test drives on the one you're really targeting.

Set your budget, research cars you want, know what you ought to pay, have financing/ payment ready, do lots of test drives, establish good relations with nearby dealer.... when working the deal, they will offer you to buy pre-paid maintenance and 'extended warranty plans.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mudshark

Mudshark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After pricing a 2011 model IV with the Nav package VS a 2012 model IV (that has the Nav package build in to the Entune system, not an extra price package) I bought the 2012 today.

Kelly BB value and N.A.D.A both showed the 2012 was *significantly* less expensive (bunches of 100's). Look it up.

Toyota put their sales folk is a weird situation on this one. They may indeed start to heavily discount the 11's. But right now it was a no-brainer for me.

Enjoy your choice!

BTW I also have a 2009 Gen 2. The 2012 Gen 3 has this weird "vehicle proximity notification system" on it. I makes this supposed fake car sound. I guess so the deaf can hear one coming. Toyota really missed an opportunity here. They should have had it make the sounds the Jetsons flying car used to make! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also DRLs, if that matters to the OP.

6. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same on this end on a new 2012. The difference was just $1200 for me, the difference was the $1000 rebate at the time for the 2011.

7. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We bought the 11' IV with solar late in 2011 for right at $800 below invoice. The 12's price increase seems like a deal with the power seat, HUD and better Nav but it might be awhile before below invoice is out there with gas spiking up.

We also had a paid for trade 10' Honda Pilot that would now be worth less due to time and gas prices. The 2011 was the way to go for us. We didn't want a payment and cash out of pocket would quite a bit had we waited on a 12'.

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In tweaking the packages - Toyota made the three a better fit for many people for less money.

The upper models -- not so much

I'm surprised that they still have any 11's around!

9. duhren

duhren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just bought a new 2011 Prius 3 today with nav, solar/sun roof, upgraded JBL stereo/DVD player, bluetooth hands free phone all for $4K under sticker. Am picking up tomorrow. None of the dealers in the area were budging on 2012 sticker and only 1K on 2011 cars except this dealer. Traded in my 2006 Prius with 100K miles. I am sticking with the Prius....the most troublefree car I have ever owned. No major or even minor repairs in 6 years....just oil and filter changes and a set of tires. My 2006 averaged 48 - 51 mpg. The highest mpg for me was 63 on a trip west to east on I-70 with a good tailwind. Did get 55 - 58 mpg in spurts with careful driving. We just returned from a Florida trip and averaged 50 mpg the entire trip there and back. The 2006 will make someone a very nice car. Most amazing is that the brakes are still good. On most typical cars, I would have been on my second brake relining already....big saving there.

10. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Best of Luck with the 2011. Nice to hear the 06 was trouble free. Interesting to see if the 2011 will get better MPG. I believe it will.

11. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If gas continues to go up, people will be buying whatever is out on the lots, at whatever price is asked. I wouldn't expect any huge discounts, as this will very soon be a supply & demand issue.