1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the A/C keep humidity OK if sleeping in the car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by akm3, Jun 23, 2012.

1. akm3

akm3 First time Lebowski'er

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am planning to Prius Camp for 3 days in Torrance CA (still need to find a location, the walmart is not 24 x 7 there). Anyway, I don't mind burning a gallon or so of gas running the A/C at night but don't want the windows to completely fog up and have water dripping on the inside from my breath/humidity. Will the A/C keep things properly dry?

Anyone know a good location in or near Torrance CA to sleep for 7 hours?

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The past couple of days, it was really hot and humid, and of course the A/C at work took a dive, so I went out to the Prius at lunch time and ran the A/C. It keeps the windows from fogging up just fine, since it pulls the humidity from the interior.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would, if it gets warm enough inside so that the A/C will run. But if not, either open one or more windows a little for ventilation (in which case you can turn the car entirely OFF), or manually set the fan to run continuously. There's no way to know until you're there :_> Have fun!

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius has a humidity sensor as part of the AC control system. Presumably in a cool yet humid environment, the system will run the AC compressor to dehumidify, and also heat the air with the heater. This implies the gasoline engine will start for that purpose as well as keeping the traction battery SOC at or above two pink bars. You'll get to see how effective that is in your camping environment.