1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the EV mod benefit me as much as I'm thinking?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by slair, Aug 6, 2007.

1. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a very short drive to work. Total distance is around 1 mile. One stop sign to get onto the main road from my small neighborhood road, and one stop light to cross the state road to go right into my works parking lot. Now that its so short, the ICE is always running in my prius because it never has a chance to go through all of the stages for me to be able to run in passive EV. So, insted of having a prius that acts like a normal car, there has to be a modification I can make to get my MPG back to where it should be. Yes, I use very little gas because its so short, but still, I want more out of my prius. So I was thinking the EV mod would be a good mod. I dont know everything about the EV mod, but I do know some. Am I wrong to think this would be beneficial to me since my trips are so short?
    Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spend your money on an Engine Block heater instead. The EV won't get you anything for that short of a commute and it'll probably make the mpg worse. An EBH, esp. if you can plug it in at work as well as at home, will get you through the warm-up stages within 1/4-1/2 mile in all but the coldest weather.

3. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    EBH ordered. Thx

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the EBH will not cause Toyota to possibly deny warranty coverage like an EV switch will.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about a good pair of walking shoes, and save the Prius for week-end adventures? If it was a mile, even I would walk.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 6 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]491453[/snapback]</div>
    Or a bicycle.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 6 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]491546[/snapback]</div>

Too short. Not worth putting on shorts, shoes, gloves, helmet, Camelback, bike lock. . . .