1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Next Version of Windows Be Worth the Wait?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Apr 12, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/10/business....html?th&emc=th

very interesting article about microsofts planned release of their next OS codename Longhorn. "will it ever get here?" is one question, but the bigger question seems to be "will anyone care if it does?"

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I personally went from 95 to XP Pro . . . so I think there will need to be a few more releases before I feel stymied by this current OS. Of course I could always flop over to linux in that timeframe . . . or a future Google/Mozilla web based open source OS. (Just speculation). But one thing for sure, Longhorn will be long in the horn (tooth) by the time it finally arrives. :wink:

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"80530)</div>
    The best operating systems are the ones whose upgrades aren't expected to be "new and improved" and when upgraded the results are nearly transparent.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well lets face it, microsoft's new and improved OS will have lots of bugs and i will not use my system as a guinea pig.

also you may recall that originally, SP 2 was supposed to be a small charge to upgrade for existing users who bought and paid for the original XP.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I've been a Longhorn watcher for years (because as a Windows application developer, I need to know if that light ahead is the end of the tunnel, or an oncoming train).

Whether Longhorn is worth the wait is a very tough question to answer, because:
    • Longhorn is a moving target. There's been a lot of backpeddling on a number of fronts. Some very significant (and also time-consuming and difficult to retrofit) features have gone by the wayside -- the "database filesystem" (at least as fully integrated as was first advertised), etc.

Also, Longhorn was initially advertised as being a lot less backwards-compatible to older Windows software than previous Windows versions. This has also been backpeddled from. Why? See below.
    • Market forces and Longhorn evolution. Architecturally, Longhorn is the biggest leap Microsoft's made since Windows NT was introduced. Remember that NT actually preceded Windows 95 as the first 32-bit Windows OS. However, its early releases -- NT 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 -- were essentially betas, used by very few people. It wasn't until Windows NT 3.5 that it started to get rolling, and 4.0 was the first version that really caught on.

I don't think Microsoft has the luxury of psuedo-beta Longhorns. More specifically, Microsoft's shareholders won't give them that kind of breathing room. Longhorn is expected to make $$ right out of the gate -- meaning that demands like backwards-compatibility, stability, etc. are going to be expected from the get-go.

For a NextGen OS, that's going to take a lot of work; and I think it justifies much of the backpeddling I'm seeing on MS's part. But it does limit them in how much really revolutionary stuff they can put into the OS.
    • Hardware requirements. Unless MS has backed off on this, Longhorn is going to require very high-speed, heavy-duty hardware. All the alphas I saw a year ago ran like pigs on the newest, fastest Dell machines we'd seen.

• All of which means: Stay tuned.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hardware requirements for new OS's are something i believe that microsoft and hardware manufacturers have agreed upon in secret.

if that were not the case, too many could upgrade the OS with their same box. that would create a huge panic for them. especially now that not as many games are released with higher hardware requirements as it once used to be.

a few years ago, you practically had to upgrade something nearly every month to be able to play the latest and greatest that came out.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

The hardware requirements for Longhorn have been so high-end (or at least they were, as of 6 months ago), that we figured there'd be very little market for buying a Longhorn "upgrade" to your existing PC.

I.e., you pretty much have to go out and buy a PC designed to handle Longhorn, to run Longhorn.

8. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

Lets be honest the current version isn't worht the wait...LOL I wish I could go back to 98

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, I'm using Windows less and less these days -- Linux is my primary OS at work. Which means I'm scratching my chin and thinking about maybe switching to a Mac for home.

That said, I think XP is about the best version of Windows out there -- relative to other versions of Windows. I definitely find it much more stable than Win98 (generally, Windows NT4/2K/XP are more stable than Win95/98/Me).

I still have a soft spot for NT4; it wasn't riddled with as many security holes at the versions of Windows after it. Alas, without USB support, it suffers.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    other than memory and resource leaks from win 98, i like it too. besides nothing a reboot wont fix. i am considering a move to a Mac also as my laptop is way overdue for an upgrade.

i still run my win 98 machine next to my XP system. since i was unwilling to upgrade my office suite, it still gets daily usage

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona