1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Prius be the next VW Bug?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nerfer, Jun 26, 2007.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've dabbled with air-cooled volksies, and am somewhat familiar with that phenomenon, having been to a few bugfests and bugouts, and owned a couple 60's VWs. Driving on a recent road trip I was pondering some similarities:
    • Recognizable shape (although not as distinctive as the original beetle was in its time)
    • Small(ish), efficient car that filled a niche that Detroit was apparently ignorant of
    • Gained popularity quickly, particularly in trendy places like California
    • Associated (loosely) with free-thinkers, Earth-friendly folks
    • The VW Beetle early on was > 2/3rds of all imports, the Prius has been > 2/3rds of all hybrids
    • Well-tested and reliable for the time it was introduced
    Of course, for this to really measure up, Toyota would have to produce 20 million more of the Prius over 20+ years without radically changing the shape or size, something that is unlikely to happen in today's market. (I passed a 1980's Jeep Wagoneer recently, wow, has that shape/size changed!)

If that happens, the after-market kits and parts should explode (plug-ins and BT braces are just the start), as well as modifications to personalize the look.

Has anybody tried to see how many co-eds fit in a Prius? B)

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've long felt this to be the case.
    As a young boy, I remember counting slug bugs on the drives to the cabin. Usually over 100 on a 1 hour trip.

3. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 26 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]468402[/snapback]</div>
    I think the Prius is very distinctive. My older brother (who seems envious of my new car) considers the current Prius design iconic.

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobertG @ Jun 26 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]468472[/snapback]</div>
    Iconic is a good word. That's what I was driving at (so to speak). Not everybody liked the VW bug, but it definitely has a following and represents a certain era and feeling. It was also a conversation starter at the gas station, the only car, other than my Prius, where that has happened.

I could add that both the Prius and VW bug had unusual powertrains, in the case of the VW, it was a rear-mounted air-cooled engine. But the complexity levels are completely different - one advantage of a VW is that a backyard mechanic could tinker with most any part and even swap out the engine with the help of a friend or two. Until we go to pure EVs, that level of simplicity is gone for good.