1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Prius Value go up?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by christet, Aug 9, 2007.

1. christet

christet New Member

With the delay in toyota new battery technology on hold, will this cause the price of the Prius to go up and us that own one right now have a much better resale value? I would assume so. :D

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Aug 9 2007, 03:46 AM) [snapback]492902[/snapback]</div>
    Best recommendation this year on PriusChat!!!

Keith :unsure:

4. quixotequest

quixotequest New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Guy @ Aug 9 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]493001[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. Excellent recommendation.

Even Ferrari Testarossi are not immune to losing value due to supply vs. demand economics. :p

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(christet @ Aug 9 2007, 05:23 AM) [snapback]492900[/snapback]</div>
    No, you current model Prius will not go up in value due to the delay in the next generation. It may not fall as quickly, but it won't appreciate.

That is unless gasoline suddenly jumps 2x or 3x and then any fuel efficent car with appreciate. Take my 2003 TDI for example. When Katrina hit and gas spiked to $3.25 per gallon, TDI's with 100K miles were going for more than new on Ebay. I saw dozens of similar car to mine sell for $8 to $10K over bluebook values for about 2 months before the craziness wore off. If that happens again this hurricane season I'll be selling the TDI.

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 9 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]493142[/snapback]</div>
    I'm confused. Based on your comments in other threads, you seem opposed to a free-market. So, do you support the supply and demand concept inherent in a free-market, or only when it works to your advantage?

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 9 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]493146[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a bit confused too. Are you implying that I should not sell my TDI? I know that it is a great car but my wife and I really don't need two large cars so we are in the market to get rid of one. That will happen before the new TDI Jetta Wagon comes out in March of 2008.

Now I think you are implying that due my support for universal health care that I shouldn't take advantage of someone willing to give me thousands more than my car is worth because they decide to freak out about temporary high gas prices. I disagree and will gladly take their money if they are willing to offer it.

Now about free markets. I don't think that the free market is the best solution to all problems. Some things require that we look after the common good. The common good and free market profit strategies don't ever seem to overlap. For example, I don't think we should have a free market for gasoline in the US. I'm a big supporter of a $5 per gallon gas tax to be used for an "Apollo Moon Landing" level government program to develop renewable technologies to replace the U.S.'s dependence on fossil fuels.

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 9 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]493241[/snapback]</div>
    Listen, I don't want to hi-jack this thread. I was merely pointing out what I saw to be a rather self-serving position you had taken that was contradictory to what you had previously posted in other thread. Like I said, you seem to support free-markets only when they benefit you personally.

9. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 9 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]493249[/snapback]</div>
    Seems to me you're grasping for inconsistencies that are really there. Some of us like the free market to do its thing BUT we recognize that its power is limited. And when it doesn't work well enough (for the greater or greatest good) we like to see government and/or other powerful institutions take charge. What is so hard to understand about that?

Why not have more than one tool in the toolbox? Some issues are too important and we shouldn't be so narrow minded about how we approach and attack a problem. We have to recognize the importance of taking on the vested interests and the status quo from time to time. Free markets can be to slow to do that.

10. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 9 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]493249[/snapback]</div>

Well, it was you who raised the issue, out of the blue and out of any context in the thread, so you clearly did mean it. To answer your point would require the thread to be hi-jacked.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 9 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]493249[/snapback]</div>
    Well, leaving aside the fact that it's a matter of individual conscience how many conflicting standards we each may have, and it's certainly none of your business just because you don't approve personally of someone else's, it is rather like governments and populations really isn't it? We rather like the idea of government providing armed forces to defend us rather than relying on the free market to do that, but we object to government controlling healthcare because we say that isn't what government is for. Double standards are somewhat of a national pastime.

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(christet @ Aug 9 2007, 06:23 AM) [snapback]492900[/snapback]</div>
    All history so far (and there is 7 years of it) indicate that gas price behaviour determines the Prius resale market. Nothing Toyota announces makes much of an impact. (What they put on the market, or are unable to put on the market, makes all the impact.)

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Aug 9 2007, 06:46 AM) [snapback]492902[/snapback]</div>
    The car is worth whatever someone is willing and able to pay for it. If someone wants to pay me $30,000 for my Prius it's sold.

I recommend oil stocks as a better investment than CDs.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 11 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]494129[/snapback]</div>
    The one thing that will really drive up the value of a Prius is, of course, gasoline prices. If they continue to trend upward and there is a big disruption to supply of light, sweet crude, then you may find a lot of people wanting a hybrid now even if they have to buy used and have to pay a premium for it. As JimN says, whatever they're willing to pay is what it will be worth. I'm not holding my breath of course, except for better and cheaper batteries so I can convert to EV when the time is right.