1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the Prius warn me on my dashboard that the battery is about to die

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rachel kodner, May 16, 2016.

1. rachel kodner

rachel kodner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery (that powers my car) is about to die, will the prius warn me? Will there be a light on the dashboard? When I had a Toyota YARIS, there was never really any official warning from the car that the battery was about to die. So one day I came back to my car and it was dead. (What was really frustrating is that I got regular oil changes, and regular inspections, and never once did they tell me my battery was about to die. I’m pretty sure a normal 3 point inspection doesn’t include looking at the life of the battery. Why the hell not? If the inspection place doesn’t tell you that, and your car/dashboard doesn’t tell you that, how can you have any advanced warning that you’re about to be marooned in a dangerous place? Or marooned in dangerous weather conditions?! THAT’S A SAFETY HAZARD TO ME!)

Now that I have a Prius, I need to know if the same lack-of-warning should be expected (like the Yaris incident), or I need to know if the dashboard will tell me that my battery is about to die. I realize there is a dashboard menu in my car that shows battery life, but I never switch to that menu. I'm always on the menu that shows the temperature outside. So if I'm not on the menu with the battery, will there be some kind of text that comes on to my dashboard to warn me that my battery is about to die?

Someone said I can lift up the hood and look for some eyeball red/green image on the battery? I suppose I could do that, but that’s kind of a terrible suggestion because months from now when I forget all about this subject, I won’t think to look at the battery under the hood. That’s why I want to know if the Prius will give a dashboard readout warning you if your battery is about to die.

(Side note, My question has NOTHING to do with the Toyota people telling me or not telling that my battery is going to die soon). The question is very simple. Will my Prius C (circa 2013) tell me on the dashboard ‘your car battery is going to die soon’??? I’ve googled this question until I’m blue in the face and all the results that seem to come up are results like ‘preparing for prius hybrid failure’, ‘what are the warning signs’, or ‘what to do when your battery dies’. (WHEN it dies? That’s not helpful, I don’t want to know what happens after death, I want a warning BEFORE death!) I read the articles and they don’t even address my question. Not sure why I can’t find the direct answer to my question through an internet search, so I’m guessing that that hints towards the answer of ‘no, your prius will not tell you/warn you verbatim on your dashboard that your battery is about to die soon’.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which battery are you referring to? The 12V aux battery or the HV battery?

You never know precisely when a cell in a 12V lead acid battery will fail on you. Once, the 12V battery in our Chrysler minivan died just after my wife drove it off of the driveway. That was weird - enough power to start the van and died within 25 feet afterward.

The HV battery most likely will give you much more warning time that that. Usually when the HV battery is getting weaker, you'll notice a decrease in mpg on the highway when you're on a long trip (100+ miles). You'll also notice that the % state of charge will fluctuate more than it had previously. A HV battery in good condition will tend to maintain a narrow range of 50 to 60% SOC when driving in town with stop signs and stop lights. On the highway the SOC range will be tighter still if driving in an area with relatively flat terrain.

Your Prius is way too young to be concerned about the HV battery dying on you any time soon unless you have more than 100K miles on it already. The 12V battery may or may not have a lot of life left in it - some last only a few years, some last 10 or more.

#2 jadziasman, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. welcome to priuschat.(y)

4. rachel kodner

rachel kodner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    When you say what battery are you referring to --- I'm talking about the battery that POWERS my car. The battery that makes my car NOT dead when I turn the key in the ignition. Which battery keeps my car from NOT dying? The HV battery? or the 12V? You say "you'll notice a decrease in mpg"... Actually, no I won't notice that at all. Because I dont ever think to pay attention to that kind of thing.

5. rachel kodner

rachel kodner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, I just asked the same question to Toyota, so here is Toyota's official response [Incident: 160516-000325]. Response Via Email (James F.). "Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We apologize; the vehicle will not warn you when the battery is about to die. Your local Toyota dealer can help keep you apprised of your vehicle's condition as you bring it in for scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance." (That's bull****. They can help you, but won't help you unless you specifically ask about the battery. When you get your oil changed every 2000 or so miles, they just do the normal 3 point inspection, tire rotation if you ask for it, etc. I'm pretty sure this oil change / 3-point inspection doesn't include them checking if the battery is about to die.)

6. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually Rachel, either battery could make your car dead if either fails spectacularly - which has happened to a few. Much more likely to be the 12V but a really bad HV battery can stop you also if warning lights are ignored - some have done this as well.

You might notice the decrease in mpg if you find you need to fill up more often than in the past. And you might not be aware that Priuschat attracts many O/C people. I, for one, MUST know what my car's mpg was on every fill up.

7. rachel kodner

rachel kodner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I just find it ridiculous and baffling that cars arent smart enough, in the year 2016, to have a dashboard warning come up that says your battery is about to die in a week or so. That seems like a safety hazzard to me if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time (when the battery dies), or if you're driving in dangerous weather conditions (when the battery dies). What if I have a super important job interview the next day and I wake up and my car is dead without warning? I just dont understand why the car can't warn us with a dashboard notification ahead of time.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the yaris battery died, that only has a 12 volt. that is the battery that starts the engine. however, in your prius, the 12 volt only boots up the computer, and the hybrid battery starts the engine when necessary, as well as providing motive power.
    unfortunately, the prius 12 volt battery is quite small, and even more likely to give you trouble than the yards battery. you don't need to worry about the hybrid battery.
    the best thing you can do is learn to test the battery yourself. many people get stranded because their car batteries die for one reason or another.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately Rachel, there is no monitoring system that can predict when any battery will die. The good news is, these batteries are highly reliable. If you want to be proactive about it, I recommend replacing your 12v battery after five years of service. As for the HV battery, you will likely sell your car before it goes bad.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from what i understand, the upcoming hyundai will not sport a 12v battery.

11. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE="rachel kodner, post: 2351180, member: 144933"I just dont understand why the car can't warn us with a dashboard notification ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

Well, because the technology hasn't advanced enough yet. There are a lot of ways a battery can fail and no way currently to monitor all of them. Eventually these "unreliable" devices will be made obsolete by a technological breakthrough. Be patient.

rachel kodner likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be thankful it's not your pacemaker battery.:eek:

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rachel, welcome to Priuschat. :)

Most, if not all cars, don't have reliable battery monitoring built-in.

If you're going to worry about being stranded, get a portable jump pack and learn how to use it properly before you need it. Learn especially how not to connect the jump pack in reverse polarity, which can cause thousands of dollars of damage to your vehicle. As long as you charge the portable jump pack periodically, and carry it in your car, you will never be stranded due to a dead 12v battery.

14. rachel kodner

rachel kodner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a jump pack in my car, but if no one is around to help you jump it, you're S.O.L. Then you have to wait 1-2 hours for a tow truck to come. VERY inconvenient. (It takes 2 cars to jump a car, right? yours and the other car).

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, you are describing jumper cables. A jump pack is a portable battery that is used, on it's own, no other car required.

As long as you know how to use it, and to connect it properly, it will get you out of a dead battery situation. Here is an example of a portable jump pack:

Cheap peace of mind if you ask me.

16. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks b, that got me wondering.

Living with a Pacemaker FAQs
    General Guidelines and Precautions After Surgery
    After surgery to implant a pacemaker, most patients return to their everyday activities after a short recovery time. However, each person’s experience with a pacemaker is different. Recovery periods may vary as patients gradually return to their daily activities, and your doctor will schedule regular follow-up appointments to make sure the pacemaker and leads are working properly. Explore our FAQs about life with a pacemaker for some general guidelines and precautions to consider following your surgery.

How Long Does a Pacemaker Battery Last?
    Your pacemaker is powered by a lithium battery, sealed inside a titanium case. If your doctor finds that the battery is low, he or she will discuss a replacement procedure with you. Because the battery inside the pacemaker cannot be recharged or replaced, a new pacemaker must be implanted, which on average occurs between 5 and 10 years.

What Things to Avoid with a Pacemaker:
    Anything with electricity gives off electromagnetic energy (EMC), which can disrupt your pacemaker functioning. But most energy fields are too small to be of concern.

Hmm, maybe that's why Chuck McGill is so cautious......

bisco likes this.
  17. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That small charger is a good idea. The 12v battery on my Camry went out 3 times... with no warning whatsoever. One day you go to start the car, and nothing. Just dead. The Sears Diehard batteries I bought usually lasted 3 years.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone had a unit that plugged into the cig lighter to read the 12v status. that would be helpful, but you'd have to extrapolate, because the car has to be on.

19. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going to buy the model that's a little more powerful. $89. (16800Ah, and 800A peak current.) My friends and neighbors who have large SUV's with a V8 engine can use it too.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    12 volt is cut from the car's "cig lighter" type outlets when it's off, and when the car's running you'll get falsely high readings, so those readers won't work.

Careful: read the Owner's Manual regarding max amp hour when charging. 3rd gen was something like 4.5. Maybe 4th gen is higher; it is a more robust looking battery, FINALLY under the hood. But check on that.

I'm currently using a CTEK MULTI US 4.3 (max 4.3 amp), find it quite good. It allows you to charge at the full 4.3 amp, or at 0.8 amp, say for a motorcycle. It has options to charge at slightly higher voltage for coil style AGM's (like the Optima Yellow Top), and you can add an extra "conditioning" phase, say once a year. Have also their older 3300 (you can never have enough chargers, lol) which I used for a lot of years, also good.

For battery assessment, besides digital multimeter reading of at-rest voltage, an analyzer is good. I've got the Solar BA5. You typically input your battery type and the rated CCA or CA (Cold Cranking Amps or Cranking Amps), and tester lets you know the actual CCA, and voltage, and with rudimentary lights says the battery is either good, good but needs charging, or hooped.