1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

@@@ Will the Windows Phone 8 work @@@

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by tanasit, Oct 22, 2012.

1. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Since I can't upgrade my iPhone 3GS to ios 6 for Entune compatibility, so it is only good for phone alone. I plan to get the WP8 not iPhone 5 for my other Windows base work. I am not certain that the WP8 will be fully compatible with Toyota Entune. Anyone has any idea of this issue.
    Thanks,

2. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There's no Windows app currently because it lacks support for the right Bluetooth protocols. I haven't seen what's offered on WP8 yet. It's possible they could make an app but it's a roll of the dice since WP market share is so small.

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am using the Nokia Lumia 920. Currently, it only supports the Bluetooth voice and music playback, but no text message or internet support. (I plug in my iPad for internet support..) There also seems to be a weird bug that causes it to start playing music on my phone as soon as it connects to the car

You're right about the app, but Windows Phone 7 & 8 actually do "support" the necessary Bluetooth protocols (the one needed for Entune is SPP). However, only the phone hardware is SPP certified, because for some reason Microsoft did not add native support to the phone OS.
    They did make it available via API though, so an app can be written to use SPP.

Still, considering that Entune is a Microsoft product, I am disappointed that Windows Phone 8 doesn't support it natively.

4. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, when the phone connects on Handsfree your phone also wants to be connected for Bluetooth audio streaming. With that music plays from your phone. That is a Nokia/Microsoft issue.

When is Entune a Microsoft product?
    Ford Sync is a Microsoft product, if Microsoft made it I am sure they would like to advertise it like Ford.

Perhaps U should share the WP API with Toyota and highlight that. Anyway, didn't someone write a independent App on Android, perhaps he can make one for WP should U share with him the WP API doc.

from what I am reading here no SPP API over BT on WP7 and WP8

SPP Implementation

Serial connection via Bluetooth

5. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Windows phone... Ick.

Why won't your 3GS not update to iOS 6? Mine did just fine with no issues.

6. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Entune was developed by a company called Nuance, but Toyota partnered with Microsoft for the apps.

As for the serial/SPP bluetooth implementation, according to the Entune support document, Toyota is supposedly working on enhancing Windows Phone support. I doubt that sending them WP API docs will help anybody...

Whatchu got against Windows Phone? o_O

7. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I have much against Windows. I use to be a Windows fan. I switched fully to Mac a little over a Year ago and won't go back. I am hoping to persuade the powers that be at work to get me a Mac when they do the PC replacements.

Windows 8 is a serious abomination on this earth. Windows 7 is fine. If you look at Windows OS 95 not good, 98 GOOD, Windows ME SUCKED, XP GOOD, Vista SUCKED, 7 GOOD, 8... It's gonna SUUUUUUCK.

I prefer the Mac OS over windows as it's more stable and not such a buggy pain in the a$$ system to operate. I've also messed around with Windows 8 in the store. It's not good. TPTB at work have already decided to abandon 8 and wait for 9 to come out before they will do any upgrades. All new machines will have to have 7 until 9 comes out, and if 9 breaks the cycle and SUCKS also then we'll be on 7 for awhile.

It's history repeating itself.

8. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not to turn this into a Mac vs PC thread (especially since neither IOS nor Windows Phone devices are fully supported in Entune).

My company believes in "bring your own", so we have both Mac and Windows desktop and laptops (and Android, iPad/iPhone mobile). We've been doing this for a few years now.

I support both the end users and back-end enterprise servers, and I can tell you that neither is perfect.

In fact, there is very little difference between Mac and Windows.

Home use is another story, but in a corporate environment, Windows has different problems than Mac, but they both require equal time from our staff (and me) to set up, support and maintain.

9. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I spend all day on a Mac. I spend the evening on a PC. They're both great. They both suck.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Really? That's news to me. Nuance is known for voice recognition.

That got me searching and I found Toyota Entune partners: Harman, QNX, Nuance, UIEvolution & INRIX Traffic (via phone). Someone at What brand is my navigation system? | PriusChat found Tweddle Group Teams up with Market Leaders to Deliver Award Winning Toyota Entune™ Multimedia System | Business Wire.

11. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting. So it's a real-time operating system by QNX, which is a subsidiary of....RIM! Well no wonder, I have a damn Blackberry OS in my car :/

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, QNX has been and is still used in lots of other applications. This was all way before RIMM bought them out.

QNX is the base underlying OS for the Playbook and Blackberry 10.