1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will they fix the snow driving problem ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LarryRacies, Jan 10, 2006.

1. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

Subject line really says it all.
    Would like to read Prius drivers problems with driving in snow...and what you did about it.

2. benighted

benighted New Member

What problems?

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2 years and no problems in snow or ice on OEM tires with 30,000 miles on them.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    26 mos no problems with Nokian WRs.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You need to read up on the topics on the board that deal with tires. Depending on where you live, the OEMs may not be the best for your circumstances.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess the title doesn't "say it all".

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The factory tires are not a particularly good all weather tire or M+S tires. Some folks find them fine. They have been acceptable for me, however our temps this January have been quite warm and all we have been getting is rain, not the usual snow cover that is typical for one of our Januaries.

Please keep reading the forums, but specifically look for references to traction control. The TC system is more than just traction control, but is also a protective system to prevent hybrid component over spin. That is why there is no TC cancel switch.

In general, if your Prius is going to be used in snow, upgraded tires or purpose specific tires are a huge help.

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I have only one really slippery snow experience so far to draw on, but my Prius with stock tires performed great.

20 years ago, my family had an older next door neighbor whose driveway sloped down towards the house. Often when it snowed, we'd hear him gunning the engine trying to get up his driveway. All that would happen is that his back tires would spin at high speed, but his car didn't go anywhere.

So, at least 5 or 6 times a winter, my mother would walk over to his house and drive the car out of his driveway for him. She'd take it slow and easy, feathering the gas to keep the wheels from spinning. She'd get the car up the driveway in no time.

Now, 20 years later, the car does that for you. No need to feather the gas pedal. It will accelerate much slower than on dry pavement, but then again, that is typically what is required when driving on snow.

You may be able to get a non-traction control enabled car to accelerate faster on the same snow covered surface, but it's usually operating at the edge of controlability with spinning tires.

The rule of driving on snow has always been to give yourself more room to stop and more time to accelerate. It's always been the case and always will be to case, no matter what kind of car you are driving.

Now, I do have an issue with the traction control on mostly dry pavement that has a little bit of ice on the sides of the road. When you pull out from a side street and momentarily hit that small 6-inch wide patch of ice, you unexpectantly lose power for what seems like a long time, even though you cleared the ice patch in a fraction of a second. That's the annoying thing about the traction control for me. But in real unplowed snow, it worked real well.