1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will this valve VOID warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberprius, Feb 19, 2008.

1. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have searched through the past posts, and from what I see, I don't see anyone worried, but being a bit paranoid, thought I would double-check, since I did not see it specifically addressed.

My husband wants to put a Fumoto valve on my Prius, which means that he might, that is might, just be thinking about taking on the oil changing chores...I might let him too!!:p

Anyway, he has used these valves for years and swears by them. But I am worried that replacing with non-Toyota part will void my warranty. He says I worry too much, that the only way that will happen is if the valve leaks and the engine melts, but he has used them for years and says they are "bomb-proof."

So, non-Toyota parts are OK?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That will not void the warranty. I have one on my Prius and love it.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No warranty issues. That said, if the valve itself fails, you lose oil and the engine dies the warranty certainly won't cover that damage. But as long as the valve functions normally there will be no issues.

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll have no problems unless they can prove that the damage was caused by the aftermarket part.

For example, you hit a boulder, breaks off the valve, all your oil leaks out, and you keep driving. Your engine warranty is gone like the oil leaking out of the oil pan.

Another example: your traction battery suddenly dies after installing the valve. The engine is still full of oil and the valve isn't leaking. Your still covered under warranty.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A husband would never steer you wrong. I know because I are one. And since those valves are bomb proof, we ought to be making airplanes and things out of them too.

6. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I guess I was being just a bit TOO cautious, but as I have never owned a truly NEW car, I am a little dazzled.

Hubby smashed the Prius up at 400 miles (and yes, I don't let him forget it). So, I told him he could not touch it again. He took this to mean he could not change oil, etc., which of course I did not mean!

But, it has been a good learning experience, since it forced me to re-learn all the things my dad tried to teach me at 16 when I first started driving and could have cared less about (Yes, dad, I now understand how to change the tire <NOT>, now just give me the keys and let me on the road!!!)

Anyway, we'll put on the valve, but I think I will keep changing the oil. First, I kind of enjoyed doing it last week. Second, I'll know it was done right (maybe??) and third, it will keep Tim's oily handprints off the car, because I have seen what the other cars look like when he changes the oil in them -- he claims the oil layer he leaves behind on the hoods and bumpers protect the paint...
    K/.