1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Toyota fix gas gauge problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Janet, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Janet

Janet New Member

We too are having trouble determining how much further to drive when the last square on the gas gauge is blinking. We have had the 2004 for four months and at most have been able to put in about 7 gallons. My question is whether Toyota is working to fix this problem or is this something we will have to live with for the life of the car, (which could be a very long time).

2. RobertO

RobertO New Member

You are not alone.

This has been the topic of numerous posts since late last year.

Toyota Motor Sales, North America, Inc. has received many, many complaints by phone, letter and email.

See this same topic in the Forum Index.

To date they have made some ambiguous statements to the effect that they are "looking into the problem".

Personally, I am not encouraged.

Bob

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Before the adjustment, there were just as many complaints from owners running out of gas... and consequently driving to the gas station using only electricity, which can harm the battery-pack.

The adjustment itself was to trigger the warning about a gallon sooner.

With such a narrow margin between those extremes, I find it unlikely that anything will be changed... especially since the prior is harmful.

So, the best advice is to use the "9 gallon" rule.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Or go ahead and put gas in the car when the last bar blinks. It's not like you have to wait until the tank is empty.