1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Toyota offer lithium batteries in the v?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by UTBuckeye, Jul 6, 2012.

1. UTBuckeye

UTBuckeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think Toyota will start using lithium batteries in the v so as to compete with the Ford C Max hybrid which uses lithium batteries?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They use them already in country's where they sell the 3rd seat. Maybe a plugin v will have them by using more capacity.

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I read that Toyota did a three year research study on 100+ Priuses with lithium batteries, and found that the NiMH were better.

I also read recently about the problems people have with lithium battery cars (like the Leaf), and I think that Toyota may be right to not jump on that bandwagon yet.

I'm not saying Lithiums are worse. It's one thing to have an advanced, fluid-cooled battery system in a $60K+ vehicle like a Tesla, and a $25k car designed for international mass-production.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To be clear, I know of no problems w/the Leaf's lithium ion batteries other than loss of capacity (as evidenced by 1-2 lost capacity bars, so far) in hot climates (e.g. AZ and TX) after only a year or so.

Others in cooler climates haven't reported any capacity loss yet.

Capacity loss is expected, it's just that it seems much sooner/more than one would expect/hope for in hot climates. Unfortunately, the Leaf's batteries have no thermal management system, unlike that of the Volt, Tesla Roadster and Model S, Ford Focus Electric, etc.

If I lived in AZ or TX, I wouldn't buy a Leaf. Leasing might be ok, but not buying (in my book), unless Nissan comes forward to do something about the accelerated capacity loss in those areas.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was an analysis on cost-effectiveness in non-plug hybrids.

6. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    "Newer technology not always is better technology" is a fact I've discovered over the years for many things. I believe Lithium/ion batteries certainly, are worth watching...but I'm glad I don't have them.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Let's not forget that Toyota does use Lithium in the Prius Plug-In and the Prius V's sold outside of the US that have a third row of seats. As we know, experience often trumps "state of the art" design, just ask the engineers of the Tacoma Narrows Suspension bridge who thought the design was solid and proved by the masterwork Golden Gate.

Maybe that's why we don't have a hybrid Tacoma pickup yet (although probably soon to come with a Ford partnership). Toyota is smart enough not to build the next exploding Pinto or the first time delay burning battery pack. Not smart to push the limits of experience unless we are talking love or war.