1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will you still be happy with your Prius if gas gets cheap?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Soylent, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was at the pump, and it was $2.65 here in Miami, and first thing that came to my mind was, "Damn, if gas gets cheap again, what did I buy this car for?" :blink:

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Easy answer: Yes.

I still remember, no joke, the last time I saw "$0.99" at a gas station and thought to myself "that's the last time I'll see that."

I bought my Prius because it's a cool car, low emissions, and less gas. I'm just as happy to spend 1/2 of what I did pre-Prius as I would be to spend 1/4. And I still think hybrid drivetrains make a ton of sense even without environmental issues, and will be a majority of the market sooner than later.

3. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas IS cheap- have you been to Europe or AU?

I bought my 2005 just before gas went up- so I know that even if it goes back to $1 again, I will be happy- just means that I will be saving more money. So when gas was about $1.25 I was spending approx and average of $550/month for gas... Now, with gas about $3 per gallon, I only spend about $150/month- pretty sweet deal! If gas goes back to $1.25, then I will pull into a gas station, see the attendant, and THEY will pay me! HAHAHAHA

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Yes! I didn't buy it to save money.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    of course. It's still a low emissions and tech-filled car. While others gleefully cheer for $30 fill ups, I'll kindly remind them of my $15 fill up

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well uh, even if gas prices go down a bit you're still paying quite a bit less for gas in a prius than in any other car.

it's not like there's a point where gas costs will ever be equal in a prius vs (name a non-hybrid) comparison.

7. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]314634[/snapback]</div>
    ........You can allways go inside and pay the cashier the difference from, say, $3.40. :D

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    YES! A thousand times yes. I love my Prius!!! And gas will never get "cheap". I didn't buy Max based solely on gas prices, although that was a slight factor in the decision-making process that helped me to narrow down my new car selections. :D

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm...Lessee...if rents go way down, will I be sorry I own a house? If dogfood becomes free, will I be sorry I had my dog for so long when I paid for it? When the US gets universal healthcare...oh...forget that one...hell will freeze over first...and I will STILL love my Pri regardless, because it is a fantastic car--and I'll STILL be paying less for gas, and mucking up the environment less.

Next question?

10. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Of course. It's not just the gas. It's a Prius thang.....if you have to ask then you wouldn't understand.....

B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

11. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes! I got it mostly for environmental reasons. Savings were just a plus..

12. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love you guys! Everybody here is so happy with their cars, I'm sure you'd all love your Prius even if gas were free.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas WAS cheap when I got my Prius, it just allowed me to that much more smug about a car I already loved when prices started going up.

Again, for me this car was never about saving money on gas, it was about using less gas, it was about the technology, it was a little about the emissions. It was all about buying a car that met my needs in the most practical way that current technology allowed.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]314634[/snapback]</div>
    If gas gets cheap, will I have to pay someone the $600 I've already saved this year?? . . . I don't think so.

Gas will have to get down to about $1.50/gal and I'll still save $300/yr. Then there is the 10% insurance discount from Travellers. Actually, we saved $500 by switching from Allstate including the hybrid discount.

Our NHW11, 03 Prius, is a quiet, smooth ride and with proper maintenance, it should outlast any equivalent gas-only vehicle by at least 50% or more. It has great creature comforts and is intellectually entertaining. My wife was practically rolling on the floor when I described my recent hill-climbing mileage results (Holly has no respect for the subilties of engineering and keeps calling my ICs "doggie combs.")

It truely is the nicest car we've ever had.

Bob Wilson

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 5 2006, 12:45 PM) [snapback]314701[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. :)

16. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 5 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]314695[/snapback]</div>
    C'mon Soylent...get real. We have a car that is incredibly well designed (ok, except maybe for the seats and a few other minor details :rolleyes: ), that gets GREAT MPG, that pollutes less than virtually every other vehicle on the road...Really, tell us, what is NOT to love about it? (Did I mention the cargo space? Or the overall design? Or the manymanymany waycool features I've not seen on a vehicle in a similar price range?) Soylent...when gas is free...or when you get even more dismissive of intelligent opinion, sell YOUR Prius and leave the rest of us alone.

17. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Happy with my Prius yes!ill save even more money. What i worry about is others thinking energy crisis is over and no need to conserve by buying gas misers like the prius.THis planet can only supply so much. Oh! saving gas is only a smallll part on why i love this car. :)

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Oh yeah, most definitely. Every time that I get stuck in traffic on the freeway (which happens a lot around here) and the speed goes to zero and my Prius's gas engine shuts off because it isn't needed, I'm happy as I can be without being illegal B)

19. chett

chett New Member

I love my Prius with or without cheap gas. The car is fantastic. :D

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As most people have already stated. YES!

I can afford gas so gettign bad milage wasnt an issue of money. I was more concerned with my impact on the environment and pushing a good idea.

I would also like to thank each and everyone one of you who did the same. You are the ones who are making a positive change in this world. :)