1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wind + effect on MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by wicastawakan, Mar 24, 2009.

1. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This forum provides a huge & invaluable wealth of knowledge. I think most everyone that purchases a Prius has some interest in gas mileage & environment.

We're just coming out of winter & discussion of how temperature affects mileage. The winter gas is a factor. Yesterday & today having 33 mph winds, I can't help but notice how it affects mileage. Our average wind here is 12.3 mph daily. That's a lot of wind. I am amazed that with the hills, wind & open highway driving that my Prius continues to churn out 50+ mpg (with wider than std tires).

I've appreciated everyone's knowledge, help, info etc. Nice place to peruse.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I always check the flags as I leave work. If the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, I park my car and wait it out.

Just kidding! No I don't wait it out.
    Headwinds stink big time but there's nothing I can do about it except draft off SUVs.

3. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 06 Prius. Driving from the bay area to Tahoe and back I average just under 50 MPG 500 miles round trip. Remember that's driving up hill from 0 feet to an altitude of 8000 over Donner summit. Then all over Tahoe and back (all down hill) It come out to about 41 up 53 back.:D
    Now, if I put on the Yakima racks and put skis and 3 boards and poles on the top, mileage really suffers. I can't get better then about 38 up and back.:eek:
    Put the skis inside the car!
    -Paul R. Haller-

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a great read...and tool for understanding when and how wind affects MPG, specifically on the 2G Prius.
    Prius Palm Mileage Simulator

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good info! Thnx.

7. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone done the underside covering & what material did you use? I used aluminum years ago on a race car.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The 2G Prius already has underside shielding as shown in this diagram:

[​IMG]

The 3G (2010) model apparently has even more elaborate undercar air management, but I haven't seen any photos of this yet.

Attached Files:

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  10. cloudshift

cloudshift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hahaha! I found this incredibly funny for some reason. :)

Cheers!
    Brad

PS: This is my first post, but I've been lurking here for some time, since I bought my 2006 back in December 08. Been a wealth of knowledge...

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We used to go to the Reno Air Races every year. While the drive up Donner summit is a bitch, The 4Runner used to go down hill at 82, in neutral, and get some unrealistic MPG numbers, but hey, Gravity sucks, ALL THE WAY DOWNHILL!. WHOO HOO!!!
    Sadly when you average the uphill guzzle.... you end up with the usual 18 or so MPG!!!

But it was a fun ride!!

12. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I always "try" to find some 18 wheeler to draft off. It isn't always possible on our single lane 60 mph highway but I do try, sometimes by pulling over and waiting on the edge of our small town.

I've found you don't have to sit 3" from their back bumper once under way like the hypermilers since it's dangerous in my opinion, and the truckers tend to get pissed. I'll usually try to stay back the normal 1 car length for each ten miles per hour....and it does help, especially when into a head wind. When traffic is slow and bumper to bumper I will sneak up closer since the trucker won't be pissed at me but at the whole slow traffic pattern that we're all in. :D

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No question it's dangerous and unpopular with the truckers. But you need to check your facts (this and this are good starting points) about hypermilers and drafting. It's bad enough the mainstream press perpetuates the stereotype. We don't need it here.

And besides, there are many who argue that 1 car length per 10 MPH is unsafe. (Google "proper following distance.") Most hypermilers allow considerably more distance than that, not only for safety but also to respond to sudden changes in conditions ahead without inefficiently braking hard.