1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wind noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zqfmbg, Feb 24, 2007.

1. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

I've had my Prius for about two and a half weeks now, and recently (like, within the last 2 days), I've noticed a noise that I don't think was there before. It's a high-pitched whistling kind of noise, sort of like a window is still open, or a seal isn't tight, or something like that. I've checked the car out as far as I can think but haven't found anything.

Before I go ask the dealer about this, does anyone have any ideas what could be up?

THe wind noise isn't that loud, so if I have to, I can deal with it, but it's one of those "oh great, it's been here for only two weeks!" sorts of things. :)

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Perhaps you could describe the conditions when you hear this noise. Speed? Road condition? Have you made any modifications to your Prius?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Make sure to check the rubber seals around the windows, doors, and hatch. A small gap in any of these can be noisy.

Tom

4. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 24 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]395931[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty much anything over 25 mph, and both on surface streets and freeways. The roads are pretty much the usual for California, which means they run the gamut of in decent shape to "gosh, this feels like gravel". No modifications. The noise is loud enough so that I can hear it over any other wind or engine noise.

5. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

While on the freeway and listening to the whistling I got annoyed enough and decided to try opening and closing the front passenger side window again.

The whistling actually got louder. It was loudest when the window was all the way open.

So I guess it's something on the outside of the car that's whistling, and the window was just muffling it... unfortunately, the only thing that looks like it could whistle is the mirror, and it looks fine to me. Heh. But at least it doesn't seem like a gasket or seal problem anymore.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It looks completely geeky, but putting that blue painter's tape that peels easily over suspected cracks and crevices may help you track down the whistle's source. On the other hand, you could always go back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.

7. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Feb 24 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]395929[/snapback]</div>
    Had the same problem, discovered it was the drivers side rear view mirror. On the bottom of the mirror there are three holes that have screws inside. The holes have clear plastic stickers covering them. Check to see if one or more of those sticker have either broken are come unpeeled. If they have; take some electricians tape and re cover the holes. It worked for me...Good luck.

8. rickcrna

rickcrna Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adammc @ Mar 1 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]398500[/snapback]</div>

Really strange...I've had a similar issue with wind noise....bought the 07 Prius about a week ago. Just read your note about the screw covers and found one missing on my mirror. Plan to put some tape on it and see if this reduces some of the noise. Hard to imagine doing so would make that much difference.

Rick

9. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had this off & on as well- made me crazy several days-
    decided it has to do with water and the driver side mirror.....

10. icesalmon

icesalmon Junior Member

Is it normal? My '07 is making the high pitch whistle too. It is getting louder and more frequent. It is very annoying.